Ya'll get a kick out of this; CR AV ratings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, most comparatives found in magazines are paid so... you can't trust them too much.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

While I do not completely trust CR's knowledge concerning pc security software, the fact is that CR accepts no advertising money and no money from any products that appear in their ratings.

Acadia

3. Antus

Antus Registered Member

I would have to agree...if no money is accepted or promotional advertisement is involved,their comparsion should be considered. Its hard to accept comparsions especially if a AV you favor is not considered thats just the nature of the beast. A good example is Nod32 or Kasperksy...if its not shown to fair well, in a given AV comparison their is a tendency to trash the comparsion. AV Company's .....are big business....out to make a buck its understandable and I agree.......however competitive against one another is ruthless from a business standpoint....I know from experience.....this we have to keep in mind.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

How do you figure? Did you even read the article? Obviously not.
    Per CR:
    "With good detection, ease of use, and scanning speed, and very good features, this free program is useful for protecting multiple computers on a tight budget."

Hardly sounds like a "crap" rating.
    I'm GLAD they included it, to let the less-savvy puter users know that free vs. paid protection is a viable alternative.
    Sure, I would like it if they had included Antivir & others, but I'm glad they offered an alternative (albeit limited) to those who may not be able to afford paid protection.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Still thats no excuse if you ask me. They even wrote that it doesn't have scheduler. Sure, you're testing free version. Remember, Alwil also offers Professional version which is actually commercial edition and has all the bells and whistles. It's a matter of princip. If you test commercial ones, all should be commercial editions not some mixed bunch. It's like comparing Rolls Royce with VW Golf 2. Sure both will get you to selected destination but one will certanly give you more features and comfort...

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Posts related to an Anti-spyware ratings would be appropriately posted in our other anti-malware software forum and as such I have created a thread that now contain posts from this thread unrelated to this AV discussion.

Consumer Reports AS ratings

Bubba

8. furballi

furballi Registered Member

If a FREE program can keep up with the big boys, then it should rank no lower than 4th place.

DO NOT rely on CR if you demand critical performance evaluations. These reports are just good enough for the average housewives.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well thats the problem of my entire rant. If it's free and as good as others, why the heck is so low?

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Go HK
    remarkable!

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Consumer Reports Creating viruses?
    Story

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  12. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Can these novel viruses be downloaded for "educational purposes"?

Fairy Al Haqari

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Consumer Reports tests were conducted over the last 6 months. I agree you cant always take into account 100 percent what they say, but here ~Link removed - Rogue site - Ron~ are the 2006 reviews from PC World, a little more of a expert than Consumer Reports.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Dont think they are, maybe PC magazine.

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

nah, i can't believe that any magazine would be that 'crazy' to use the flawed toptenreviews for publication. I still hope you currently confuse something.

17. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The reviews at that site rate McAfee higher than it deserves, which makes me question the reliability of such reviews.

See http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=76180&view=previous&sid=9928a331836af6a9d346e04707caeddb

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Plus creating such synthetic samples creates completelly synthetic test environment and would only comply to proactive test (to some degree).
    For on-demand classic testing you simply need real world samples, otherwise it's just useless test. Plus AV vendors NEVER had chance to even get these samples. So how realistic it can be?

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Hi,

some peoples used av comparatives retrospective results to tell wrong things (imo deliberatly misinterpreted the results for own reasons). You can read my comments about that in my weblog (http://www.av-comparatives.org/weblog/?cat=7). It has to do with the CR thing, thats why I post it here.

regards,
    IBK

21. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I never knew that ZoneAlarm was that good that it came in second on the Consumer Reports test.

22. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Interesting when contrasted with this:

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

eTrust EZ is not using VET engine as far as i remember...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.