Y2K rewind (were you afraid?) 10th Anniversary

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Oct 30, 2009.

?

Y2K- were you afraid?

1. Yes, absolutely

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Yes, I was concerned but would not admit it

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. No way, Y2K never concerned me at all

42 vote(s)
    73.7%
  4. What's Y2K?

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

We are drawing close to the 10th anniversary of the famous (or infamous) Y2K scare. What were you thinking in 1999? Were you caught up in the Y2K scare that all the world's computers would crash at midnight December 31, 1999 or did you see right through it all? Of course, we are all aware now- but what were you thinking then?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

We need a good scare every few years to make us some money.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

All the big IBM brains went on TV saying it was a probability. People were buying generators to run their electric needs after midnight. For folks in the colder climates, no electricity in January would have been catastrophic. We were given floppy disks with a fix on our personal pc's, and these professionals were telling everyone planes would fall out of the sky and the world as we knew it would stop. Big businesses were hiring people to correct every file in their system one by one. :D

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Y2K is an old news, 2012 is a new bogeyman, many theories, but the scariest is this one: The Sun will approache Solar Cycle 24 and will peak in 2012 also the Sun get aligns with the center of the milky way and that according to some scientists might cause electromagnetic waves destroying all PCs, what a nightmare. :D

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I voted that it never concerned me at all . The reason is I was too young (a child) then and it was a problem for my parents' computers and their business . I remember lots of computer guys (you know the typical skinny men with specs and not talking much) coming into their office and working with their computers for days fixing something but I don't know what exactly nor I care about it now . It is a history .

We need to think about today and tomorrow :thumb:

6. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I remember it well. It was a big media hype. Every day you turned on the news the broadcast media was making a big deal out if it. I wasn't very concerned with it. The media generally blows everything out of proportion, and this was a perfect example of it.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Nope.
    I viewed Y2K as another typical case of media hype. All hot air and no substance.:gack:

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Now's the time for you to come up with a scheme to make a lot of money off of this. :cool:

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

HaHa I like that one. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I was still a child by then, didn't even knew what Y2K was, i just lived my Happy Life :D :D

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Not at all. I was actually hoping it would happen.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I was 18 at the time I was hoping all heck would break loose. It never did so Life moved on. :(

13. icr

icr Registered Member

That time I was about 10 years old. :D

14. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

I was as afraid as the ah1n1 scam.

15. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

I believe Y2K was a scam for these companies to make $$$ offering "Solutions" (And alot of ppl fell for it)

16. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Let's see, 1/4 garage of water, batteries of all sizes, enough nitro-packed food for a battalion for 6 mos, seeds, dehydrators, candles, lamps, bulbs, ammo, rifles, silver, gold, generators, solar stuff, propane, grill .... beer.
    Sounds like a tail gater... :D

Yep! It was a good scam for some businesses, while it lasted.

Anyone need seeds? Bout all that's left..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.