Xubuntu 12.10 review - Very nice

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Welcome to the revolution: a long and extremely enthusiastic review of Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal 64-bit edition with Xfce desktop environment, covering live session, installation in a quadruple-boot setup on a laptop with SSD and post-install usage, including Wireless, Samba, look & feel, customization, multimedia playback - MP3 and Flash, applications, Ubuntu Software Center and installation of non-Xfce programs, system resources, system responsiveness, stability, suspend & resume, extremely short boot times, and small quirks like Thunar not preserving network share bookmarks, confusing logout & reboot button and printing/firewall problems, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-quetzal.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Nice review! Do take a look at Snowlinux's 3 Cinnamon release. Based on Quantum Quantzal, the Faenza icons are just lovely! Professional looking Cinnamon menu. :thumb:

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

the crash you miss i guess is volume icon crash but overall xubuntu is much better than ubuntu or kubuntu as its pretty close to what we miss on old gnome 2.32 also linux mint i didnt tried it yet but lt look very delicious

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya_xfce_whatsnew.php#xfce

best part xfce 4.10 + good old mint menu + Out of box experiance + support non-PAE kernel too + LTS :argh:

the only thing thats make me feel bad about xubuntu 12.10 is they dont support non-pae kernel any more :rolleyes:

like aways one your best review about ubuntu Mrk

its good to hear finally you think xfce is also good desktop alternative :))

4. mack_guy911

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Nice review Mrk, I agree with your assessment :thumb: I've been running x386 version (found it a bit more stable than x64) on my hardware for a while now, and it runs fast and efficient :)

6. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

hows the firewall on that version ?

sadly thats the one topic that really seems to be lacking in a desktop version of most of the gnu~linux versions iv messed with so far.

even Guarddog is like meh, and about as advanced as firewalls for windows 3.11.
    fire-starter not that much better,then theirs gufw .... meh....

don't know why but i have a real soft spot for the final version of zone alarm 5.5 on my win98se box,now that's what i call a gui,clean simple and to the point with good advanced options, its old school though.

7. mack_guy911

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I don't use a gui based fw, just ufw and set rules for example:
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow out proto tcp from any to any port 80, 443
    and it works perfectly fine :)

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Mrk,

Did you happen to try camera (pptp) automounting ?
    Something that I could not get to work, usb flash drives fine, but not with my camera in Thunar or Shotwell/GThumb.
    Works totally fine with Nautilus Shotwell in Ubuntu.

Cheers, Nick

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Install the graphical front-end GUFW and simply enable the firewall! :thumb:

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

trying this at the moment.

it is very nice indeed, the equal of Mint XFCE or just a hair better, imo.

now, if Ubuntu can get that rolling releases thing underway and working good then it'll be perfect. :p

12. moontan

after a couple of days i found 12.10 Xubuntu to buggy a little.

the same partitions sometimes show up twice on the file manager and i sometimes have to reload webpages because clicking on an hyperlink does nothing.

apparently, there seems to be quite a few users experiencing problems with 12.10.

i'm back to Mint XFCE 14 for the time being because i'm not having those problems.

13. moontan

anyway, i gonnna give the 13.04 Beta a try; it supposedly have quite a few fixes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.