XP's build-in Firewall review

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paul Wilders, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

That is like inni and outi LOL

I did post some Windows XP firewall shots on another thread
    for KAV's new firewall. Even though Windows XP's firewall does not block outgoing traffic, you do have some options to block incomming and outgoing echo requests ect..
    I have run Windows XP's firewall along with Outpost without any trouble.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thnx,

I think your grandma should write a book about firewalls ;)
    Howto keepeminna and ignorewazzoutta

Regards,

Pieter

3. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Now, that is interesting to know! I had always thought that Outpost was the one firewall that had been quite up front about one should not run it with another firewall?

But then, I'm still not sure that ICF is really much more than a glorified software NAT router. (Yes, I know ICS and ICF are said to be separate things, but I can't help wondering.) At any rate, I rather suspect that the phsyical implementation of ICF is more akin to that of a software router than that of a software firewall.

Incidentally, which shows up first in processing inbound? ICF or Outpost? And which shows up first in processing outbound?

4. root

root Registered Member

Hi Joseph. It has been known for awhile that Outpost will work with XPs firewall enabled for some but not all people.
    Just so people understand, ZA or Sygate will create massive problems for you if you install Outpost with them. As for other firewalls, Agnitum will not guarantee functioning properly if any other firewall is installed on the same machine. Not much can be done about XP, since Billy boy was so sure everyone just had to have his choice of firewalls. :mad:
    As for how soon processed, I don't have that information, but I have seen Outpost popup a window when I was offline and installing an updated version of a program that accesses the internet. That seems to be getting it at a pretty low level.

5. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Indeed, almost sounds like hooks into the BDOS, doesn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.