XPlite 1.9: Anyone used this app?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

I'm looking for feedback/opinions regarding this application. Has anyone used it and do you recommend it?

I'm trying to repair/re-install a couple of missing XP services (don't have XP Installation CD) and I read somewhere that XPlite will allow you to do this.

Their site does not offer tech support for non-purchasers.

Thanks.

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

I use it all the time
    well at least a version of it. Its properly called PCLite and when employed in an XP system XPLite and on my system W2KLite, I think my version might be older as well and its a full paid version. I havent employed it to "add" services. Normally I rip down the OS. What it does it does well but you are monkeying with the OS itself. Issues can include the OS repeatedly attempting to install automatic updates for components that are no longer there.

There is a freeware alternative which requires .NET Framework
    nLite

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use the paid version of xplite. I find it extremely useful to customize windows xp. With xplite you can easily remove and restore parts of windows but to restore them requires that you have the xp installation disk so it can copy the files needed.

What services do you need restored?

4. Birdman

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

I don't have the XP installation CD and have been looking for a way to re-install this service for months now.

5. farmerlee

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

There is an alternative to NET.Framework called nLite. runtime. I have a copy of it but can no longer find an d\l link for it. Have yet to test it either.

7. farmerlee

Yeah its called frameworklite.

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

You'll find it at the bottom of the page. It works fine, no problems at all.

8. Birdman

Hi. Thanks for your help. From the article you provided, I was missing the following files in WINDOWS/system32:

vssui.dll
    stdprov.dll
    vssui.dll
    stdprov.dll

I'm using XP Home SP2, but the article doesn't say for what system these files are for. I'm going to assume that they are in ALL Windows XP OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.