XP64 and Win7 x64 Dual Boot Questions

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by GrumpyAeroGuy, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Just a few questions:

AMD64 Xenon Quad Core, 8 gigs of RAM.

I have a 750Gb hard drive (along with a second 500Gb hard drive, if this is relevant or germane in any way to this discussion).

Partition1: Primary, Active, 375Gb, XP64, C:\

Partition2: Logical, 375Gb, NTFS, empty/blank, D:\

Want to install Win 7 to this partition, partition 2, and a create dual boot scenario.

If I understand correctly, I need to (assuming I am in xp64):

a) Mark part1 as hidden and NOT active.....

b) Mark part2 as active/primary

c) Reboot to Win7 install CD

d) Install Win7, then boot into Win7

e) either via installation of paragon BM into Win 7 OR Linux recovery CD and re-boot TO that CD, activate/set-up Paragon BM correctly, then I have a dual boot machine.

Am I "off the plantation" here, or do I have it down, pretty much, correctly?

Anything I am overlooking/missing?

BTW, just ditched Acronis for several annoying reasons. I like paragon much better thus far...FWIW. Too many annoying quirks with Acronis --- too many "undocumented features"...lol

Also, of course I have a Paragon backup image of my present HD configuration.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I believe you need to Hide 7 from XP - not the other way round.

Paragon BM would then hand the active flag to whichever o/s partition you selected from the Paragon boot menu.

3. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Update:

Utilized the built-in "Install new OS" functionality, and, works like a charm.

I now have a WInXP64 and Win7x64 dual boot machine working beautifully with boot manager.

I am still interested in the question I raised above relative to doing it manually. When I do something with built-in automation, I still find value in understanding what the steps would be if it were to be done traditionally.

"Hats off" to paragon. I am having much better experiences with your package than with Acronis. MUCH easier. The bootable media are excellent and rock-solid.

Thank you for an excellent product.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I like the Paragon much better too.

The manual methods usually involve using 7 bootmgr, adding an XP entry to 7 bcd and hiding the 7 partition from XP.

Ther is one here for installing Vista after XP - ( same applies to installing 7 after XP)

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm

Neosmart have a handy utility for hiding partitions called HNS:

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1341

Manual instructions :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.