XP System Files - Should I Block 'Em?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cooLkAffe, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooLkAffe

cooLkAffe Registered Member

Hi... I'm curious to find out if any of the following XP system files should be blocked from connecting out. I'm aware that some could just be connecting to a local address and not actually the internet - but as said - I'm curious to find out what the secure solution would be. The files I've allowed access are:

EXPLORER.EXE
    HELPSVC.EXE
    DLLHOST.EXE
    LSASS.EXE
    MSDTC.EXE
    MSIEXEC.EXE
    SERVICES.EXE
    SPOOLSV.EXE
    SVCHOST.EXE
    WINLOGON.EXE

I've only reacted to 'filtering pop-ups' - I haven't added any of them myself - so in one way or the other they've needed to access either localhost or the internet.

Let me also say I often check for viruses/trojans/spyware and clean my registry as well, so I'm not suggesting it's any of those-- my interest is more in direction of getting windows to work optimal and still be secure.

- Any comments are welcome. Thanx :)

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Normally for some of them (like explorer or winlogon) you just need to allow the application another one that will connect and you can block the direct access.

On my side I've always blocked SPOOLSV without encountering any issue.

Frederic

3. cooLkAffe

cooLkAffe Registered Member

Thank you -- I'll follow that lead. And I'll try block a few more and see if windows work with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.