XP SP1 and the GUI for PG 3.2 will not display

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by james246, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james246

james246 Registered Member

Re: ProcessGuard v3.2 released!

I am running XP SP1 and the GUI for PG 3.2 will not display.
    I unable to uninstall and Windows restore will not work
    Help

2. james246

james246 Registered Member

Well after a bad experience with PG 3.2 (No GUI on my XP SP1 Setup), I have managed after considerable effort to get this latest version off of my machine and get bak to 3.150.
    I think it best for those running with SP1 to be very careful about installing 3.2 until Wayne or Gavin have had time to considered.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well this is one BIG FLOP. I too have NO GUI. :( What in the world were you guys thinking releasing this with such a huge bug for XP Pro SP1?

It's running according to Task Manager and the processes are checked in MSCONFIG startup. But I have no systray icon and if I try to start it from Start/Programs that doesn't work either.

Also, a very minor thing but when I installed this I specifically told it to NOT reboot my computer...to just finish without rebooting as I needed to save all my tabs in Fx first. It disobeyed me and rebooted the computer. It should have obeyed the command to not restart the computer until I decided to restart it which would have been right away after I prepared for reboot. So warning to all, you cannot delay reboot after installing PG.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How do I uninstall it? It's running and I have no GUI so I can't stop it and thus I can't uninstall it. james 246 how did you manage to uninstall it?

EDIT: I used System Restore successfully.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  5. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

And where the heck is DiamondCSo_O I'm amazed that today I get up and get on the computer and find no response to a bug that is VERY SERIOUS for all of us who run XP SP1. That is a lot of users in case DiamondCS doesn't know that and thought it wouldn't matter if they rushed out this release because hardly anyone runs SP1. A lot of folks CHOOSE to not run SP2.

What really gets me is that Wayne didn't warn us. This bug is a show stopper. If you are a RESPONSIBLE developer you NEVER release to Gold a version that keeps a lot of users not only from using it but from being able to uninstall it (without great difficulty) when it proves unusable but is running and can't be stopped. DiamondCS knew about this bug on Dec 16.

I have warned everyone over at DSLreports about this and saved one friend who has XP SP1 and was about to install it but who read my thread first and thus did not install it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15086271#15089817

7. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

This is another one of those "What the hell were they thinking?" things. I am suprised with such a serious bug being reported so recently that they would still rush this out of beta so fast, even if they did think they found and fixed it why wouldn't you take the extra precaution and release another beta with the fix just to make sure? It sure doesn't give ya much confidence in DiamondCS at all. That whole TDS fiasco was bad enough and now this. :oops: Very poor decision making and communication skills on there part.

Process Guard 3.2 should be taken down untill this gets fixed or at least they should put up a huge warning sign. Like you said Mele, there are many people out there that still have SP1. I got it on my laptop so im thankful for the warnings from you guys.

8. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I have sp2 and sp1 installed and I have no gui displayed either so I doubt it is related to not having sp1 installed...

I installed it in another VmWare session, very minimalistic setup and no gui either ..

Please Wayne, Gavin .. solve this!! :(

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This reminds me of when Eset released the Gold version of NOD32 (or maybe it was the long awaited beta...I've forgotten but users were chopping at the bit for it) several years ago on Christmas day meaning it as a Christmas present to their users in Slovakia only. Of course, many others in other parts of the world found it immediately and installed it and geez was it full of bugs and it crashed our computers, etc. and Eset was nowhere to be found for TWO weeks!

While I understand the desire to get this out before Christmas and the pressure from users, etc. that urge should ALWAYS be resisted when there is any reasonable likelihood as there was here that there might still remain a major bug. If the urge to release it was still irresistible then DiamondCS should have warned us and should have been standing by to immediately address any serious bugs. It is poor judgement to release something and then disappear. I certainly think DiamondCS is as entitled as anyone to a peaceful, happy Christmas holiday with their families. So, why the heck release this when you knew you wouldn't be here for awhile? Bad judgement in this regard and the mess with TDS_3 just really makes one pause and wonder about the product and the company.

And now we have a user reporting the same MAJOR bug on SP2...oh boy....

10. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

I don't know if it's related to your problem (PG GUI not displaying) but since I've installed PG 3.200 I've got one strange problem : when I launch services.msc from start->run, 3 times out of 4 the services window appears briefly then close o_O There is no crash warning or PG blocking alert (it seems that something autoclose it).

PG entry :
    Other details :
    - I'm on XP SP2 with realtime : KAV personal 5.0.390, LNS 2.05p3 and PG 3.200 (of course)
    - I uninstalled PG 3.150,
    - I installed PG 3.200 keeping old settings from pghash.dat and pguard.dat (maybe the source of my problem).

I will make a fresh install soon, we'll see if it still occurs. It's not a big problem compared to yours and I hope it's only related to something else but PG 3.200 :).

PS : when I double clic on PG tray icon GUI appears but is not always displayed on top of other windows, get the focus. Someone else?

my 0.02$...

Merry Christmas ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2005
  11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was wondering if we could keep our settings so I'll be interested to know what happens when you do a clean install....if you still experience services.msc from the run command still auto closing. Is anything else started in run auto closing?

Interesting also that the PG window, when clicked on in the systray, doesn't always have focus. That along with the no GUI problems for some of us indicates a definite bug! At least you have a systray icon, which I didn't, and the window does appear somewhere for you.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Should I respond here or in the thread the mods created for XP SP1 problems? I'll put it here since you responded here.

I just installed PG 3.2 again on XP SP1 on a VMWare virtual machine. This is the machine I installed it on before and then had to do a System Restore on. (I don't plan to use it on this machine but I don't want to install a buggy version on my host machine so this is for testing it).

This time I made sure that Fx was closed and nothing was running except I left KIS 2006 running. It installed smoothly with KIS popping up about six times asking for me to ok registry access. I chose to not reboot immediately and this time it obeyed that instruction. I waited a bit and then rebooted. No PG icon in the systray but I did have a shortcut to it on my desktop. Task Manager showed PGaccount.exe and DCuserProt.exe running. MSconfig Services and Startup also showed it running. I tried starting PG anyhow from Start/Programs. Nothing happened. I then tried uninstalling it from the uninstaller for PG in Start/Programs. When the no GUI happened the first time, I went to Add/Remove Programs and tried to uninstall and that produced an error message about PG running and that I needed to turn it off from the systray before uninstalling.

This time, using the uninstaller directly, I got the same error but then I got another screen saying it was being uninstalled! It put up another screen asking yes or no about uninstalling protection and hash lists. I answered yes, KIS popped up about 5 times asking if I wanted to allow registry access, I said yes, and the uninstaller successfully uninstalled PG.

I am really puzzled now. PG was running. There was no way for me to turn it off prior to trying to uninstall. It threw the error message that it couldn't uninstall due to it still running and then proceeded, unlike the first time, to uninstall anyway!!

So, I installed PG yet again on this same machine just now. I was able, BTW, to view the help file just fine. I just have no GUI and no systray icon. I confirmed in MSCONFIG Services and Startup that PG is running. I then tried to uninstall it from Start/programs/PG/uninstall. It again threw the error about it being running and for me to stop it before trying to uninstall. When I closed that screen there was no screen behind it. I tried several times to uninstall and the same thing happened each time.

Then I started XP in safe mode. I don't know why I didn't think to do that the other day. I have an adversion from 98SE days to using safe mode as it always really screwed up the desktop and taskbar in 98SE after using it so I suppose I just usually don't think about it for XP. Even in XP it runs with gigantic text and icons (but doesn't screw up the desktop afterwards). I was able to easily uninstall it from Safe mode. Obviously that is what I should have tried the other day.

When uninstalling in Safe Mode, I got that screen that popped up earlier (about protection and hash lists) when I was able to uninstall it even while it was still running. Obviously there is a problem other than the missing GUI if even once I was able to uninstall PG while in REGULAR mode with it STILL running!

If you need more information or want me to test further let me know.

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

My last try:

I made another Session with a copy of Xp Pro with the following installed:

integrated into OS: sp1 and sp2
    Boclean
    ATI driver
    KIS2006 beta
    vmware ..

PG 3.2 worked flawlessly.

all the other setups went dead resulting no gui ..

puzzled .. :)

14. ownwomon

ownwomon Registered Member

:rolleyes:
    Eek! I just so liked 3.1.5 that I tried 3.2. Bad bad idea as everyone here has discovered. I'm running XP HOME SP1 (not PRO). Like everyone has already mentioned: no systray and de-install is tricky. I was only able to completely and cleanly remove all components of this monster when I logged on as Administrator. Then, no problem. Back to 3.1.5 for now.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Any progress in fixing this bug?

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Have to wait for word from the programmer sorry :D

I think keeping protection lists is a no no. Probably should have been forced but after you get 3.2 stable, upgrading and keeping lists from now on should finally be just right.

New and changed default options are why there could be problems with old lists.

17. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

I truly miss the "old" DCS team =(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.