XP shutting down........

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dontana, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontana

dontana Registered Member

o_O Hey guys and Gals,
    I have brought home , from my firehouse, our compaq presario. It seems it had snagged the sasser virus. The internet would not do a thing. So, to make a long day short, I have re-booted sytem, installed spyware, spybot,and Norton/Symantec. Norton cleared at least 9 viruses so far including the sasser. Now, For at least 4 times every 30 minutes or so, I get a message that the system is shutting down now, save bla,bla,bla, ...NT Authority\Sytem.....RPC something ,something. I get one minute to save whatever it is I`ve been working on, . The only good thing is that it restarts right back.
    Finally my question....what makes it do this? Is it normal? HELP!!
    By the way...this is my first expierience with XP. Not as scarry as i first thought. Also..I have atttempted do download thw windows updates, but alas, can`t stay connected long enough to download.
    THANKS>>IN ADVANCE. :p...........FLASH as I submit this Norton just cleared the WELCHIA virus.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

When windows XP starts to shut down,you can use this routine to stop it. Then you can get your updates.

# Click Start, then click Run.

# Type cmd and click OK.

# In the command prompt window that appears, type:

shutdown -a

# The shutdown countdown box should now disappear.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you continue to receive shutdown messages after you have 'removed' the virus, you may need to disable system restore, run your virus cleaner, then switch back on system restore.

You may also find Stinger useful, as it is a standalone AV utility from McAfee, which can remove specific viruses;

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you cannot remain on line for long enough, ask a friend to download the program for you and the appropriate patch. Run Stinger, after disabling System Restore, apply patch, then reenable System Restore. Update Norton, then rescan.

Once any malware is removed, see if you can update your system and apply all critical patches.

Hopefully you have a good firewall and AV for future threats?

4. kaytee_S

kaytee_S Registered Member

i had the same problem when i did system recovery,the only thing that stopped shutdown for me was,when disconnected from the internet was to turn off your firewall and turn on xp firewall go to microsoft and update everything then update AV and run AV.i must stress im not an expert,and i dont really think im in a position to be giving advice,it worked for me.i'd appreciate,someone like paul sending me a message either telling me to mind my own business,or what im doing is ok.i told ,i think, it was bounty in other security forum he had two software firewalls running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.