XP SERVICES

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MICRO, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

When I 'Stop' several of the Services via CP/AT/Services on this XP I notice that tomorrow when I start the computer they have returned to 'Running' again,such as,

Bits
    Error Reporting Tool
    Spool Printer
    and a couple of others, but not all - Is this par for the course with XP or should I be going
    into the 'MSConfig' Services to remove the checks ? - When I do it alters the 'Normal Startup' to some kind of 'Selective' - How do other experienced XP'ers who Stop some of these unwanted Services running, handle it so the services do Stop, not temporarily ?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Stopping a service is only good for that session. If you do not want it to run on boot-up select Disabled.

"Spool Printer" Print Spooler....do you not have a printer ?

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If you are interested, check out Black Viper's definitive XP Services Configuration Guide complete with screenshots. The most important step is to back up your current, default, XP Services profile.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree with Blackviper's site as it is a very useful site. I do not use XP anymore but when I did I think the Tweak N' Tune freeware tool from Acelogix heklped stop some of the XP services as well-

http://www.acelogix.com/freeware.html

5. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Bubba,

You don't say where I will find this Disable ? I only see the Start or Stop
    I mentioned.

No, to the Printer question.

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

OK Wat. I shall check it out.

7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Acr., I had a quick look at this Tweak N' Tune but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a 'rundown' on the App., only a free download - I will check about a bit.

8. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, just double click or right click>properties the service you want and select from the dropdown menu. hope this helps:)

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Sorry, I assumed when you said "Services via CP/AT/Services" you knew that part, my bad :oops:

Perhaps I should also ask is this Home or Pro given I'm not familar with Home if that's the case.

Micro.JPG

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

In addition to what Bubba has said, you might want to check the Dependencies tab first to make sure nothing important needs the service. You'll want to pay attention to the lower box. If all is ok, then stop the service and then select Disabled. If in doubt, set it to Manual. Also, don't forget to take notes like I mentioned in your last post ;). One of the links I posted should have told you exactly how to do this all.

Here's the link: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Bubba - Tim. replied with a guide - Home, but it looks the same as your Pro. pic.

12. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks IP - I have been to several sites including TEG you mentioned but find they are all a bit scarce on such details as you,Bubba and Timcan are
    giving, which is what I need - having only set eyes on XP 12 days ago - It's a real job trying to work out how to get rid of all the rubbish - I would not have switched from the simply superb 98se in a hundred years - I can't ever remember
    needing to mess with such things as I am now having to contend with -
    Mind you I can really see why Millions spent Multi Billions
    buying XP - It has it's own Unzipper, pity it's useless and one needs Izarc
    to open more than Zip - Then these 'Services' bah humbug ! 'MSN' now there's a charmer to try and get rid of - I get rid of one tentacle but there's another and another still.

Oh if you or one of the lads are still about can you please say what on earth is this Folder called "System Volume Information" - It's already 5 GB's and I only just started XP a few days ago - Can I Delete it, or lessen it somehow ?

13. innerpeace

I certainly don't envy you just starting out and already disabling services. It took me a long time before I started tweaking. I hope I didn't sound cranky in my previous post :(.

The system volume information is part of the system restore. It creates restore points so you can "roll back" to a previous configuration (if all works properly :cautious:.) You can also limit it's size.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

To change the system restore size, click Start - right click My Computer - click Properties and click System Restore. You can turn it off or change the size. Even if you turn it off, the folder will still hang around.

Edit: If your up to the challenge, you could make a custom nLited installation disk that do what your wanting an more. You need nLite, .Net framework 2.0, your XP disk and whatever else you want. I would recommend that you get more familiar with XP first and then give it a try. http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks again IP - I have taken a pic. of the page to refer to, including your latest - Hell no, never worry about cranky - cranky is what I am, apparently
    make the brilliant Gordon Ramsay look like a ***** cat - my Psycho. logist
    says I simply must calm down - When she got the results of my tests she asked if I wanted the good news or the bad - I asked for the bad news first,
    she said, " They show you as a
    Pathologically Sadistic Paranoid Schitzophrenic" - "The good news is that otherwise you are in good shape".

I am probably made a bit worse by my wife's problem,
    She has a slight impediment in her speech - Every now and then she stops to breathe - We were married by a Judge, I should have asked for a Jury.
    She believes the quickest way to a man's heart is through his chest.

15. innerpeace

Your welcome Micro :).

Were you tweaking XP for security reasons or for speed also. I have a link that helps the speed a little when I was limited in RAM.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html
    Go to, 'STEP 4 - Tweaks' and then have a look at #1,3,4,5. If you desire have a look at the others settings and the entire page. I wouldn't mess with the paging file though.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Do not quit your day job :cool: :blink:

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

1. I do this already :)

3. Interesting, but I have never encountered a performance issue with it (runs in the background nicely for me). Remember it does say "may".

5. Whats the point ? If its useless, then its not used, therefore its not wasting any resources apart from a bit of disk space...

6 and 7 can be useful on massive drives.

9. Good advise on prefetch

18. innerpeace

I agree! If I remember correctly, ccleaner used to clean the prefetch folder before they finally wised up.

I only posted the link because it once helped me when I only had 384MB of RAM available and was running NIS2006. Back then, every little bit helped. Plus I was able to learn more about XP and the way it works. Now Micro has most of my good tweaking links and now I have no more secrets :shifty:.

Oops, one more link that can be handy. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm A recent thread here at Wilders reminded me of it.

Cheers

19. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Been away for a few days IP but returned to grab your latest helpful addy's,
    and to say thanks again - Re. the 'paging file', it might not be what you are referring to (did not stop long enough for a minute) - but I got Russinovich's Page Defrag - I am picking up all the info. quickly but then will need considerable time to go slowly through it all and shall return to TEG often.

Ps - I do have 2Gig + of RAM but it's Dial-up that stops me like a clock due to my stickshack being in the bush.

Regards.

20. innerpeace

Your welcome Micro. Here's one about Page Defrag and backing up your registry if you feel so inclined.
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/User:PCBruiser/Registry_Maintenance

With 2 Gigs of RAM, your doing great in XP. I now have 4GB in XP and am thinking about becoming a donor o_O. Sorry to hear about the dial up. That is a bummer.

21. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yikes IP have you got crystal balls - I have been trying to recall from 3 years ago Lars Hederer's name and App. because it wasn't suitable for 98se but I figured if ever the time came when I was forced to XP it then I wanted Erunt.

- Even though I transferred the Favourites from the 98 to XP it has become 9 miles long over the years and I know I should have started with a clean slate
    but I need so many of the addys to use daily on XP so I said bugger it and copied it over in total - I read the CC review you gave and DL\ed the 772kb
    Erunt immediately - I have been trying Auslogics Reg. Defrag. on this XP since last week, along with Page Defrag mentioned, but will lose ARD now I have Erunt and these two should do the job.

Yes, 4Gig. is certainly some to spare and should see you right for a long time.

Regards.

22. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I have 1GB ram, XP running fast over here, so with 2GB, you could also become a donor :D

23. innerpeace

LOL! Umm, I won't comment on this as it would be deleted :D. I am glad you found the link useful.

I should also mention that you don't have use all these programs, but if you like to run a tight ship, they will certainly help. Since adding more RAM and then building this system, I mainly only do the service tweaks and maybe stop programs from starting at boot with Autoruns. You may also like the program TweakUI.

24. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes thanks IP the former is another little Gem of Russinovich's which I copied over in the first ten. (little wonder that M$ grabbed him).

I did have the M$ TweakUI on 98 and it did pull me out the xxxx one time
    and so now I shall include it again thanks.

- I was looking for a better computer 'File Finder'
    (not that I can say the XP version is hopeless yet) and having tried Copernic for a week and deleting it the lads at Alt.Comp.Freeware mentioned a tiny little
    thing (58kb) called Cathy by one Robert Vasicek so I shall try it, apparently it will Catalog anything.

If you are still here around IP do you happen to know of something that can pick up sounds (record) on XP without requiring a Mike., so long as they come through the sound card ?

Regards.

25. innerpeace

Giveawayoftheday.com just had a free sound recorder program a couple days ago and some of the comments left by users mentioned the program Audacity as an alternative. I have used it very briefly in the past for sound editing.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.