XP reboot indefinetly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi all

I downloaded "Arabic Keyboard Layout Support 3" from
    http://www.soft32.com/download_64931.html

then I Uinstalled it because it changed desktop fonts and added +2 hours to the original time then after a reboot windows XP kept rebooting it self indefintly just before the splash screen.(actually the machine clicks (swithches)off then on again)
    Any help please

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Hadi. I'd try a few things:

1) To abort the shutdown you might be able to do the following:

Click on Start

Click on Run

Type in

shutdown -a

Click "OK"

2) You could try booting into Safe Mode and running a Registry Cleaner such as Regseeker 1.35

3) When Windows System files are affected, you can place your Windows CD in the drive, click start> run type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow" SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

3. hadi

hadi Guest

H IBlackspear
    XP doesnt give me chance to see start>run
    I said it shuts off just befor "welcome" screen
    same thing happen in safe mode "F8" it reboots just before the "welcome"

4. Blackspear

The only other choice would be to boot off your Windows XP CD and try a Repair, failing this I think you will have to format and reinstall.

5. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

This means one of several cases,: hard drive dying, hardware problem, trojan etc.

I have had this problem before.

Since you cannot boot XP, use a DOS boot disk to run scndisk, preferrably a ful scan (I know it takes ages). When you do get XP back up, defragment and remove unwanted programs/software etc.

I reccomend using Disk Checker 3.0 whence XP has loaded, it is a great prog.

6. hadi

hadi Guest

@Blackspear
    thanks I'm thinking of a repair but Im not sure if it changes things or no
    (means worried about my work its in a seperate files not in "my documents" and I think repair wipes it out. Hope I'm wrong

@TrBot
    1-computer is new 4½ months old
    2-how can I use DOS and scandisk with NTFS please

7. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Doesn't matter. I had a brand new 40gb just die on me in 2 weeks.

2-how can I use DOS and scandisk with NTFS please[/QUOTE]

You can, but forget I said that, Since you can't log on to windows you could always format lol. Also with that error, deleting the partition and re-partitioning will always help. It did for me.

I am such a knob lol

8. hadi

hadi Guest

@TrBot
    Ok going for a repair
    1-Can you please confirm that repair wont do damage to other installed progs and files
    2-How can I do a repair safely
    Thanks

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi,

I would follow BS's advice, put in your windows cdrom, press repair, then when in dos command type:

chkdsk /f /r

Y

and let it scan and fix.

then if that is finished, in the same dos window, type:

fixmbr

Y

then if that is finished, same dos window, type:

fixboot

Y

that is it, should work ok now

cheers

10. hadi

hadi Guest

@infinity
    chkdsk /f /r
    Unknown parameter
    BUT
    chkdsk /r
    works but is taking ages since your last post up to now only 70%
    I'm writing from a near by public library
    Hope it goes well

11. hadi

hadi Guest

@infinity

chkdsk /r
    fixmbr
    fixboot
    didnt work.

The problem is not a normal reboot but the machine switches off and then on automatically and indefite

any more help please

12. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

The Hard drive is suffering huge damage.

What IDE setup do you have?

If possible, put the hard drive on a single IDE cable as master (or replace the IDE cable itself). Trust me, this usually works for some reason, LOL

13. hadi

hadi Guest

No IDE master/slave. Its the new connection, I think its called SATA. donno what it means

14. m.oreilly

m.oreilly Registered Member

dude, i've done same thing ocing the@#!%%$#*& out of my rig. the repair
    option? maybe, and yes, as you stated, data MIGHT be lost. try turning off your rig, unplug from wall, pull system battery, wait 60 seconds, reinstall, get to your bios! set to default settings, make shure "boot from other device", and "onboard sata" options are enabled, exit saving changes. i've never tried your type of install, but would not do unless from ms site. corrupt boot.ini? if i had data i just HAD to keep, i would pull that drive, install in a secure rig and burn/ transfer files, rather than take a chance. some swear by repair option, i'm not one of them...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  15. m.oreilly

this has also happened w/ apps that have had problems w/ sp2. is your windows
    install an upgrade? ie: '98 to xp?

16. m.oreilly

hadi, i looked at the site you mentioned, i would NEVER download an app such as this unless from ms. i wish you luck. check ms for similar app.

17. hadi

hadi Guest

Thanks. impossible to burn 50Gb of data and pictures. I'm afraid of repair (I think it ruins every thing) the comp is under gurantee but I wonder if what happened is covered. sorry to sound dumb but what is "rig".

Yes. you are right. It was a big mistake

Q-is it possible to boot from an external hard drive.

18. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

hadi u can try bartpe in this situation here..its a free tool ..unbelievably..

i think it is the only tool that can provide access to ur harddrive in this situation and possibly erd commander from winternals..

search the forum for my post on bartpe for detailed instructions..
    u can get the url under my signature..

this is i think the only way to salvage ur data easily ..
    u need a slipstreamed xp cd with either sp2 /sp1 preferably sp2..u can slipstream xp with sp2 using bartpe and use it as source if u already doesnt have one slipstreamed cd..
    download pebuilder
    u need another pc preferably ur friends to install pebuilder and build the bartpe..
    get a plugin for a cdrecording software and add that to the default plugins that comes with pebuilder
    u can also get plugins for antivirus software and recovery softwares and registry repair..there are loads of free ones..use it to scan the drive and also to recover the data..

depending on the plugins and the features u want u can build the cd in 1day to 1 week..but i think the default one is enough for u in this setup..
    ofcourse this requires that u devote some time and patience to it ..and there is a bit of a learning curve..but its worth it if the data u wanna save is impt..
    and there is a good support forum too like here in wilders(www.911cd.net/forum)

another software that may be useful is erd commander..but that costs dollars..
    :)

19. Blackspear

I would slave your drive of another PC and transfer your data, then it's time to format and reload.

Before you start I would suggest purchasing Acronis True Image 8.0

Next I would partition your drive into about 20GB for Windows and Programs and leave the remainder for Data and Images.

Place Windows on after formatting, update it and then install Acronis and make a Image, call it "Windows ONLY"

At this point you can install all your programs that you KNOW do not cause you any problems and update them.

Create a Folder on your 2nd Partition called My Documents, then right click on your My Documents (found in the Start menu), Click on Properties and then “Move” it to the folder you have just created on the 2nd Partiton.

Make another Image and call it something else, such as "ALL programs install - 1"

Burn both images to DVD

If you want to try anything else (software-wise) you can do so knowing you can revert to a previous image at any point.

Hope this helps...

20. hadi

hadi Guest

@Blackspear
    the local dealer has a 60Gb HD chaeper than Acronis price.
    So I'm thinking of doing this
    1- I'll buy the HD and install XP on both drives One for general purpose and all sort of downloads and I'll use it for programs testing
    2- the other one for my serious work and for serious downloads

What do you think? Please

-Also, I've XP-CD and SP2-CD. I tested installing from XP-CD it goes sa far as
    "installation cannot copy vmerrenu.dll" is it ok to skip it and download the .dll later. If so where to put this .dll
    -Does SP2 correct such error
    Thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.