xp pro and vista dual boot problems

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jonnycakes15, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonnycakes15

jonnycakes15 Registered Member

Hello, I recently created a new partition with DD10 on my C drive, which has XP Pro installed on it. I then installed vista ultimate on the new partition, all went surprizingly smoothly. My question is: shouldn't I be able to open up applications I had previously installed with XP in Vista? I keep getting DLL's missing and other errors. I don't really know much about Vista at all, besides people not liking it too much! I am kind of a dummy to dual booting, so please take it easy on me, I am still in the learning stage of computers! If any one can help, please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

jonnycakes15:

For an application to work with an OS, whether XP or Vista, that application must be installed on the target OS. You can't run an app that is installed in your XP partition from your Vista partition.

What you will need to do is to grab the installation CDs for the programs that you want to run in Vista and start installing them.

Give Vista a fair shot - I've now got both of my desktop machines converted from XP to Vista (did one a year ago and the other last week) and really like it. Both machines run much better on Vista than they did on XP.

3. jonnycakes15

jonnycakes15 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, and not making fun of my for not knowing! Some people can be really harsh on some of these forums!! I am trying out Vista Ultimate x64. I did notice something strange though: when I created the new Vista partition in DD10 on XP Pro, I named it "V" for Vista ( I have a lot of hard drives and "V" was easy to remember!), when I boot into vista, for some reason the Vista partition says "C" and the partition I have XP Pro on says "D." Could this be a problem? Why would the partitions be renamed when I use Vista? Thanks for your help!

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's normal for the type of dual-boot setup that you have. When you boot into Vista it will have the C: drive letter and XP will take the next letter, D. When you boot into XP, then XP should be the C: drive and Vista should be the next one, or D. You will not be able to change the drive letter of the system partition - Windows won't let you. But you can label your disks so that you don't get confused. In Windows Explorer, right-click on each of your drives and choose "Rename" and give each drive a meaningful name.

I stay away from forums like you describe. For some reason, the anonymity allows some people to think they have a license to be rude to other people. You won't find very much of that on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.