XP Home with SP1 /IE6 on DELL

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CanadianTek, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianTek

CanadianTek Registered Member

Hello folks, hope this is in the right place..

i just read one of your very long threads.. on ACTIVE X, i was pretty messed up.. not knowing what was the right settings or the wrong settings or for that matter the default settings and which control settings are the absolute worst/"no-no's" and by the end of the read, was more confused then when i started.. :S (it was titled Question about Active X in your forum)

Have a friend of mine.. has a Dell Dimension 4600 tower with winXP HOME with sp1 and IE6

They tried to update to sp2.. and :p system barfed, froze locked..

They called Dell.. dell said no.. no go not a good thing to do, dont use sp2

So they ended up reformatting and reinstalled their Dell Bundled o/s - of xphome with sp1 (circa 2002?)

They Got online that one time.. to www.bellagio.com, went to enhanced view, then to reservations and all was fine.. (could price shop, check availability, etc)

when they rebooted the system, tried to get back to the same site, a day or 2 later, they got Active X error messages..

Called me to clean up the tons of spies .. and viruses they got, did that,

system was very VERY STERILE CLEAN.. (never thought to reinstall SP2 (as this is one of its requirements... spy free))

Went ahead, out to Bellagio.com
    enhanced view
    reservations

boom!!

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result the page may not display correctly."

Double checked their settings in IE...

IE6

6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920
    cypher strength 128 bit

went in to look at their Security settings under Internet Options

On the INTERNET settings.. i could not select CUSTOM LEVEL, only Default and it was sitting at Medium Low

Went to INTRANET SETTINGS...
    could set the CUSTOM LEVELS... ((they have an xp pro, next to this xp HOME so we replicated the settings.. ) since the laptop can get to the reservations section of the enhanced section of the bellagio.com website.. )

replicating these settings did not work..

Download Signed ActiveX controls
    x Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls
    x Disable

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
    x Disable

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
    x Enable

Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
    x Enable

found another website via google that suggested.. setting it up this way..

Download Signed ActiveX controls
    x Enable

Download unsigned ActiveX controls
    x Enable

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
    x Disable

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
    x Enable

Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
    x Enable

BUTTTTTTTTTT.... i wanted to make sure that in doing so... I did not open them up to 100,000 more spies and viruses and pop-ups OH MY !!! :S

I went to v4 microsoft updates..
    it portalled me over to v5, i managed to get it to let me go to sp1 updates..

i downloaded the sp1 cumulative update dated Oct 12, 2004 ... but said i had to reboot. in order for changes to take effect, i did, went back to get the other 4 updates from ie update site, said, Due to Security settings... blah blah blah.. it would not let me back on site to get the rest :( wonderful

(as a footnote, i did introduce them to Mozilla Firefox, it worked tickety boo.. but they dont like the look and feel.. and are diehard IE fans :p ... and no, opera 7 would not be a viable option.. they want IE, as best protected as possible.. and able to see the activeX screens at Bellagio.com )

so.. if anyone here can help.. it would be muchly appreciated..

CT

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have a dell . There should be a bar just below the address bar when trying to download active x that says "click here to allow active x download. ( allow) etc

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Uh, I never even saw that!?! I do know if you try to d/l SP2 you have to get a patch first, says the Dell tech. I didn't and it walloped a bunch of services, audio, e-mail, have no idea why? They just said "you have to", I was a believer after that.
    Did you have to do that, spcandle??

Just so you don't have to be suprised again, CT.

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Well I just downloaded it and loaded it up onto a new pc , so there were no surprises as such . I would use the sp2 CD next time I reformat . The dell support for most countries is from India. They actually give real good support. . however i found that they dont advise loading up sp2 onto your dell just yet.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

6. CanadianTek

CanadianTek Registered Member

My real concern right now is with SP1 and Active X... thank you ..

have looked at the many leads here.. so far..,

it did end up confusing me more..

ANY OTHER INPUTS?

thanx..

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  8. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

CT,

Too bad they won't try Firefox, there is a plug-in that is called "IE Viewer", that you can use whenever you are on a site where you want to SEE all the bells and whistles like with IE.

Since they don't want to, all I did with SP1 was disable the two Active X choices that say - unsigned and not marked as safe, the rest I checked "prompt". That can get tedious, but, most people check the rest of the Active X choices "enable".

If you know what updates, patches, etc. that they need, you can get it from the MS download page. I usually have to do that, because I forget to change to IE from Mozilla! I found out the hard way that your IE has to be configured their way and updated, or it will cause the updater to just hang, and hang. They have gotten very picky about WHO can use the scanner/update page!!

Hope someone answered your questions. :)

Marja:cool:

9. jecrawf

jecrawf Registered Member

After an intense Google search, here is the fix to bypass that nasty error message.... It does work. You'll need to download Resource Hacker from http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/. See explaination below.
    -----------

You've disabled ActiveX controls in the default security zone (usually the Internet zone), but now you constantly have to deal with Internet Explorer's dumb generic warning that "this site might not work correctly" every time you load a web-page with "dynamic" banner ads. Is there a registry tweak you can use to bypass this dialog box?

I found the answer, but it isn't a registry tweak... it's a resource hack. Remove the resource string IE tries to load when it wants to bring up that dialog, and it will fail to pop up. Simple and effective.

The resource is located in SHDOCLC.DLL (systemroot\system32). Bring this file up in Resource Hacker, scroll down to the String Table - Resource ID 503, String 8033. Delete that line, recompile and save. Simple as that. Log off and log in again for the changes to take effect.

Hope you find the tweak useful,

http://www.thetechguide.com/forum/index.php?&act=ST&f=4&t=9769

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.