xp home vs xp pro

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowbound, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi everyone :)

When i purchased my dell computer last year it came with xp home edition.
    Since it was my first computer i have never had a chance to use any other o/s.
    I have had to format twice so far but it was just newbie mistakes and too much junk on the computer.

Lately a lot of people have been telling me how much better xp pro is over xp home. Things like it is more secure, better encryption, some extra bells and whistles and overall more stable.

Well i checked around and the cheapest price i could find is between 450 and 500 dollars for xp pro(canadian).

The upgrade is 100 dollars cheaper but i would rather have a clean install. It is just my preference.

Could any body tell me, is it worth this kind of money to switch to xp pro?
    It would be nice to hear from someone who has had both and could tell me the advantages of switching my o/s.

Thanks

Snowbound

2. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just installed xp pro recently and so far I have noticed a few differences. Nothing mind boggling but pro is a more secure os than home but like the article at the link in the previous post stated for home use it is probably not necessary to use pro instead of the home edition. I have xp home on this comp also and it is a fine os I have no complaints with either version for a single user computer

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi bigc73542 :)

I, like u have no real complaints about xp home.

I was just wondering about comparisons of security and stabilty.
    After reading Bowersman's links, i can't really justify spending that kind of money just for the suttle differences that xp pro has over xp home. It is just a standalone computer so.........

Thanks guys for your help :D

snowbound

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I think xp home will serve you very well. Xp pro security is mainly geared to business or multiple user pc's :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.