XMON Integration with exchange filtering?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Gonkster, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonkster

Gonkster Registered Member

I've installed xmon on an exchange server at my workplace and it is of course working quite well....
    We do however use the built in options of a third party blacklist (such as spamcop) and the new exchange intelligent message filtering option.
    Is it possible to get xmon to only scan emails which make it past these initial defenses and if not, is it perhaps worth considering such a feature for a future version?
    I'm guessing that if xmon does not have to scan all incoming mail, it would be quite a performance boost for the exchange server?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, it's not possible. It's not safe to consider email that has passed antispam filters safe. Antispam filters can filter out a reasonable amount of spam and perhaps infected email as well, but depending just on that assumption would be wrong. It's like believing that the users in a network do not visit dodgy websites and thus having an antivirus protection enabled is not necessary and disabling it would increase the computers' performance a bit. Even if the users were not allowed to browse the web, there are still other ways how the network could get contracted with malware.

3. Gonkster

Hi Marcos and thanks for the reply.
    I think that you have misread what I typed above.
    I'd like to know if it's possible to scan email only AFTER it has passed through the filter?
    Any emails we get currently that are marked as spam for example, do not get delivered to users inboxes, instead it goes into a spam folder for my periodical inspection.
    I don't want to consider mails that have passed through the filter as safe, but rather simply only scan emails that do make it through the filter as the rest can be virus scanned later manually etc.

At the moment it seems that XMON scans all incoming email BEFORE intelligent message filtering gets to look at it.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You're right, I misread your post. What you'd like to accomplished must be supported by MS Exchange as XMON merely scans everything that MS Exchange passes to it.

5. Gonkster

That's a shame! I'll have a gripe on the ms exchange dev forums and see if they're interested in offering the possibility.
    Cheers Marcos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.