Xerobank questions ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by CloneRanger, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthpatrol

truthpatrol Registered Member

What about the zillions of subscribers who haven't realized yet that Wilders is the defacto Xerobank forum - how are they gonna find out about all this?

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Users don't have to do anything different or even know about it, it just works if it wasn't working before. For those it already worked for, it works better.

3. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

seriously its getting crappier than ever.....

for those few fan boys here...... u r blinded by "love".....

4. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

and super nonsense ......
    :D :D

5. bangle40

bangle40 Registered Member

None of your suggestions are working.

Only one route is working for me. Your support team keeps insisting that these routes are up, but they are not. Wizard has been contacted multiple times, is not replying, and is doing nothing to resolve the problem.

Steve, I am one of many who is having the same problems.

You are under-delivering your core services. Someone needs to contact me to get this resolved.

6. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Well, based on Steve's report that "USA exit nodes [were] taken offline during conversion to clarion network design", it appears that I heard wrong.

Also, I was unclear. What I meant was that there had been complaints to XeroBank's US ISP(s) -- not to XeroBank's customers' ISPs (which, as you note, cannot be identified by observers of exit-node traffic). Each XeroBank node must connect to the internet through an ISP.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

SteveTX, what does this mean precisely? Are you saying that customers will be able to use xB VPN for the next three months without incurring a credit card payment during that period?

SteveTX, unfortunately this comment is accurate. I encourage Xero Networks to first focus on establishing a solid service before considering new product development.

8. SteveTX

Pleonasm,

Most issues users are experiencing are authfail. Authfail is returned for a few reasons, the first being you have no service tokens in your account, the second being that your tokens have expired (75GB/m, expire on day 30), you have a payment error, you haven't made a successful payment within 5 weeks (turboprivacy thus disabled), you're already using your turboprivacy link on another machine, or you have a successful payment but payment notification error. So a quick way to deal with that is to change the expiry of tokens from 30 days to 90 days, and to extend the recognized turboprivacy grace period from 5 weeks to 50 weeks. So if you have tokens in your account, even up to 3 months prior, they would still be accepted. This applies to all xb3 and prior accounts. All new accounts after March 1 clarion launch will be unlimited. :cool:

Clarion is an infrastructure design to provide high availability of services while being resistant to out-of-band attacks (legal pressure, policy pressure). Preventing these OOB attacks will eliminate most instability experienced by users. Clarion has some advanced features which are extensible directly to the user through additional software and services, like Safehouse.

The whole idea with Safehouse is simple: The weak link in most anonymity systems is the client. The client can get their identity compromised through leaky protocols (PPTP, L2TP), dns leaks, content attacks (javascript/java/css/flash/etc), malware/spyware, browser fingerprint attacks, ad infinitum. You are vulnerable to these things no matter if you are using vpn or any anonymity network (tor, xb, cryptohippie, jondos etc).

Safehouse eliminates virtually all possible client sidechannel attacks, regardless of what network you are using. It is virtually immune to viruses, malware, spyware, browser fingerprint attacks, dns leakage, protocol leakage, content attacks, and even practically all 0-day and unknown attacks. The upshot is that Safehouse makes the client no longer the weak link, and transparently makes them bulletproof to known and even unknown attacks. With Safehouse there is only one mode, and it is secure.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. bangle40

Steve, I emailed you at address your PM me.

I've been emailing wizard on a daily basis the last 3-4 days giving him updates that only one route works for me.

I am not getting "auth" errors except on the TP-Netherlands route. I've logged into my account to restore tokens.

Here is a taste of your services from a customer's perspective:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1564/screenshot20110126at317.png

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1564/screenshot20110126at317.png

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1685/screenshot20110126at318.png

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5674/screenshot20110126at321.png

What are you going to do to make this right?

10. bangle40

I'll consider myself lucky.

Several emails to and from Steve through out the evening, and the majority of my services have been restored.

US Turbo is still down as of now, but the other routes that include a US Node are now functional.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Good to hear - but now we need to know if it was user error or xerobank error??

12. fantasticnobody

fantasticnobody Registered Member

This sounds pretty amazing. Do you have any more info on this and how it works? Also will safe house be open source?

13. truthpatrol

That would be known to one of the parties had Xerobank addressed their concerns in the first place. Note that Steve ignores the glaring indications that even e-mailing Xerobank doesn't necessarily result in help coming.

14. bangle40

It was not user error.
    Something to do with DNS/iptables per Steve.

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks for the update Bangle

16. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

@ SteveTX
    I thought you weren't going to spill the beans until March 1. o_O

Will Xerobank be offering free VPN for Egypt?

17. SteveTX

This is just the tip of the iceberg. :blink:

18. Nathan C

Nathan C Registered Member

Does all the revision work at Xerobank include getting that crazy "thesis writing" link off the web page at Xerobank?

Why on earth was that put in there to begin with?

Will the official Xerobank forum leave Wilders on March 1st and go back to the Xerobank site, with a resurrection of all past postings (no behind the scenes censoring!) that had been on the old Xerobank forum?

There were some other pending questions others had during those months when you disappeared that were put on this thread, but I'll leave others to resurrect them if they even need resurrecting.

Thanks.

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just to be quite clear on this issue, Wilders is not the home of the Xerobank forum, official or non-official.

Blue

20. SteveTX

Nathan,

The old forum database was exported out of SMF and imported into our new forum, so all the old messages and accounts will be there to my understanding. The user-contribution wiki and other systems will all disappear and be replaced entirely under our new CMS.

21. truthpatrol

Obviously, this is NOT the official forum of Xerobank and your comments are noted and appreciated. However, Wilders has become the unofficial Xerobank site, simply because (1) the original Xerobank forum, supposedly to be off-line for a short time after it was removed without notice, has now been off-line for 6+ months, (2) the Xerobank web site hasn't given a clue to explain all the connection problems that clients were going through as of late, and (3) this site, especially this thread, has ended up as the only place possible to talk about the problems AND get a response from Xerobank (it is fairly clear that Xerobank was not answering many e-mails until recently)!!!!!!

I can understand Wilder's irritation about being thrust into this role without a request from Xerobank or explicit permission from Wilders for this site to serve in that capacity. Nevertheless the reality is that this IS the unofficial forum for Xerobank until which time as that horrendous, highly complex task of re-connecting the Xerobank forum to their website is accomplished, hopefully by March 1st. I'm certain that this has always been of top priority to Xerobank and Xerobank had absolutely no intention of using Wilderes as their proxy Forum. Instead, it was the nearly insurmountable technical challenges that prevented Xerobank from bringing their forum back on-line during that 6+ months!!!!

22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Xerobank is no different than many other computer security related products/services discussed by members. Users are encouraged to engage in discussions of what they use and what they are currently evaluating as long as it's within the subject matter scope of the site. That includes benefits as well as shortfalls in performance.
    Don't confuse clarification with something else. As for the other points you mention, obviously these are fluid details that a user/prospective user should weigh in rendering a decision, which is no different than any other product out there.

Blue

23. caspian

caspian Registered Member

OMG have the aliens landed?....It's good to see you back Steve.

24. BuckoA51

BuckoA51 Registered Member

"Safehouse eliminates virtually all possible client sidechannel attacks"

Sounds interesting, I hope we're not forced to use a VM all the time though, yes that's more secure but I like being able to use Xerobank on my regular desktop too.

25. SteveTX

Thanks, but I can't stay as long as i would like.

Safehouse is also free VPN client in addition to being an anonymous communications platform. It acts just like a normal vpn client, only more secure and leakproof.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.