XeroBank 2.0 BETA

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SteveTX, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I don't know how I missed this thread before but I'm assuming this is a new VPN service. I'm looking for one myself but it depends on price and package.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

XeroBank 2.0 will be something like so:

You get a monthly allowance of about 75 GB, for about $35/month, excluding coupons and promotions. Most other services cap at 10GB - 25GB. On average, most people use about 5 GB to 15 GB per month. You can apply that balance to email, storage, vpn, or any combination thereof. You get unlimited connections, meaning that you can set up the account for your computer at home, work, laptop, family, and friends. You also get free windows connectivity software and support. The system also support Linux and Mac connections, and will shortly allow connectivity for iPhone / Windows Mobile phones and PDAs. You can even select which country you would like to appear to be coming from. The system is fast, so fast you definitely won't notice that is it even there except for the icon in your system tray. I tested it yesterday and got about 7 Mbps of through put on a route from the US to Canada to the Internet, but I expect most people will get around 1.5 to 2 Mbit. The biggest pluses, when comparing services, is that xb has the strongest privacy policy i've ever seen, a very solid and clear terms of service, and high reliability and performance. And I think to try it out, you can get the first month for about $1 so you can make sure you like it and it works for you.

If you're interested in a test drive, I can give you 10 GB to zoom around with and see how you like it.

3. eternalbeta

eternalbeta Registered Member

I've got XeroBank 2.0 up and running now and I was asked to run some bandwidth tests, at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest at NY and Chicago, while disconnected and connected with XeroBank 2.0 and as I have SwissVPN available at the moment I decided to include that also.

New York Disconnected SwissVPN XB Best Effort (Can)

Download speed 2778 kbps 2365 kbps 1395 kbps

Upload speed 243 229 584

Chicago Disconnected SwissVPN XB Best Effort (Can)

Download speed 2255 kbps 2364 kbps 2640 kbps

Upload speed 240 223 465

Apparently Xb had some difficulty with the New York connection while all other test results are comparable albeit with Xb showing a consistently faster upload speed.

I could only run the test with my firewall suspended as Outpost Firewall 2008 Release: 6.0.2293.253.0490 seems to have some difficulties handling a VPN connection and I haven't found a solution yet to the problem in the Outpost forum.

I've set up the rules to allow outbound connections to SwissVPN on TCP port 1723 (PPTP control connection) and IP protocol 47 (GRE).

However, with SwissVPN the "connection" phase is blocked without any pop-ups in the rule wizard whatsoever and I need to suspend OP's protection during this phase to establish the connection but once established I can activate OP again and everything is fine.

Xerobank's openVPN clearly needs another set of rules as both the "connection" phase and the subsequent established connection is blocked without triggering any pop-ups from the rule wizard nor was the Auto-Learn mode of any help so, as said, I can only run Xb with the firewall completely suspended.

PS. I can't seem to get the table formatted in the right way

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

When you're connected through xerobank, you don't need the firewall. the network already firewalls your connection, nothing uninvited gets through. That is, unless you are firewalling to protect from local clients on your network.

As for those speeds, i think we need a new way to test them. Those sort things are hairy at best and only give you a good idea if you test lots of locations, because of network congestion from one location to another.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

For topic separation, posts concerning the Final release have been moved to a thread of their own.

moved here---> XeroBank 2.0 has launched

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.