Wuzzup from BugBopper: What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The $5 special deal for Bugwump expires 8/4, right?

I'm using Wuzzy & loving it, plus I image my HD frequently so -- if Fuzzy-Wuzzy spots a nasty -- all I need to do is restore a clean image, right?

So... somebody PLEASE give me a reason to buy a Bugwump license. I really want to pay the 5 bux, but I gotta have a REASON why Wuzzy isn't all I need. I want a reason. I deserve a reason. IS there a reason?

Somebody HELP! :argh:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Bellgamin...at the moment it's in it's embryonic stage...the way I look at it...it can't hurt to have BugBopper as part of your layering. My stance is give it some time four to six months seems reasonable...an eternity at Wilders...and hopefully it will florish...and be feature rich. At the moment it can't be compared too A-list Security Apps. So...the apps in your court. Sincerely...Securon

3. gery

gery Registered Member

good point
    one reason is that you have got to find one. You will not have one till you buy it:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: lol very funny

4. bellgamin

Maybe even zygote stage. I decided to buy, but their website seems to be down at 4 Aug 2010 0647 GMT. A momentary happenstance, I hope.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, the website came back up about 5 minutes later. So I just bought Bugwump on general principles. What happens next? Do they send you a registration key or what? And when?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Bugwump..lolzz...:p
    No serial key... you have to register the software with your email address.... Your email address is the serial here...;)

6. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

They emailed me a validation code that you enter into the program. You will then see "Licensed" on the program's start-up screen. It's not an email address.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Yes there is a license code indeed, but first you have to submit your PCs hardware signature along with your email address. The license code will be generated based on that. For a multiple user license, you will get different license code on each submission.

8. bellgamin

Yes, they sent me a validation code. I entered it. But it doesn't say "Licensed" -- it says "Registered Trial."

I paid $5 to get a trial copy? o_O :(

Ah well . . . what should I expect for small $$, wot? :doubt:

9. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

Not sure why it shows "Registered Trial" instead of "Licensed" for you. I got my license during the free giveaway offer, don't know if that makes a difference. :doubt:

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Yeh..!!! that should show licensed to you...o_O

11. malexous

malexous Registered Member

12. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

It seems like the validation code is auto-generated.

May be you want to try again later?

Based on my experience, it will take awhile for the status to change from "Registered Trial" to "Licensed".

Perhaps they need to manually update your record in the server & it takes time?

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just wondering if there is a way to report FPs from within the program or elsewhere?

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I asked Jim Hetland about this. Below is what he replied me...:)

15. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

16. bellgamin

Okay, here's the scoop.

With most other security apps I have bought, the procedure goes like this...
    1- You download & try the app on a 30-day free trial.
    2- You decide you like the app so you register online & pay the $$.
    3- They send you a registration code via email.
    4- You paste the registration code into the trial copy and POOF! it becomes a licensed copy.

With Bugbopper the procedure is DIFFERENT. It goes like this...
    1- You download the app & fill-in its built-in registration
    2- They send you back a "Registered Trial" validation code which you then enter into the trial copy.
    3- You decide you like the app so you register online & pay the $$.
    4- They send you an invoice via email, telling you that download instructions will follow shortly.
    5- A few hours later, they send you an email with a special-coded download link
    6- You download the special-coded version of Bugbopper
    7- You uninstall the trial version of Bugbopper & install the special-coded version. THAT version now shows itself to be licensed.

IMO it's a strangely convoluted process, but what do I know? :blink: :ouch: :gack: o_O

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

lolzz.. may be a new policy to devoid piracy...:p

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is what people may have to do in some circumstances and is what I was looking for.

I'll give you an example. The webupdate.exe file that is part of Ace Utilities is marked as malware (W32/Obfuscated.F!genr). The only other scanner to mark it as such is Norman, which uses the same descriptor. From Bugbopper's point of view, I think this needs to be corrected. (Maybe Norman does as well.)

PS: email has been sent.

19. BugBopperGuy

We understand that there's some uncertainty, even confusion, about our registration process, including whether it's silly to register a free product. Some semi-random thoughts:
    • Most importantly, though free, Wuzzup uploads files from user machines, which we believe requires a very open and transparent approval from the user. We try to do that with our license and ReadMe/WhatsNew, and the somewhat circuitous validation via email is our way of assuring ourselves that the person agreeing is the person agreeing.
    • Also, as is surely evident, Wuzzup is something of a stalking horse for BugBopper, which is in fact the identical scanning code with malware quarantine and removal added. Wuzzup is free; BugBopper is not. We thought we'd try to get the inevitable registration kinks ironed out while no money was at stake. We almost succeeded.
    • Normally, here's what happens: you download the product; when it runs, you enter your name (optional) and email. The product ships that up to one of our hosts, along with the identification of the machine. That (a) registers the license in our database, and (b) instantly sends an email with a validation code. You type or paste that into a dialog, and it's done-done.
    • OK, some silly things happen. We get a surprising number of bad emails this way, some of them clearly intentionally bogus (sigh), but most are likely simple typos. Very soon we plan an enhancement where the program will notify the user of that fact as soon as it becomes known, and facilitate correction. (Maybe we should send an email... :rolleyes: ) At present the un-validated program will complain after a couple of days, and then (but only then) allow you to change the registration or request the email be re-sent.
    • I note in passing that for a few days at least, Wuzzup is fully functional without registration; you can simply cancel out of the dialog and the program will run as "Unregistered". It still uploads files though, which is essential to our new detection methods. And eventually it nags for registration.
    • OK, so how does BugBopper get from "Registered Trial" to "Licensed"? Well, for you lucky Wilders members who got the freebie, your email was entered into the database upon arrival; if you hadn't yet run BugBopper, it would come up "Licensed" as soon as you did, and entered and submitted your registered email.
    • For real-people purchasers, there is a process involving the sale, credit card processing and so on, which is done for us by a contractor, and generally involves at least one human-bean step to capture the funds.. Once we have notification of the sale and payment, your email address goes into the database, and the next time BugBopper runs, it changes from Registered Trial (or Unregistered) to Licensed. Some of the humans involved do sleep occasionally, but most of the time all of this takes place in a few minutes; once in a while it could be up to 24 hours, but unlikely longer.
    • There was one more silly thing that happened, and I want to apologize to you right here. Owing to some oopsies in configuration (a faulty SPF record, for you DNS propeller-heads), the validation email to you was repeatedly rejected as undeliverable, though the address was correct. This was murkily related to the fact that you use a private domain that happens to use the same registrar as ours, and ... well, it was pretty obscure, and in the course of troubleshooting and testing, we accidentally sent you a validation code for the wrong machine (one of ours). So your experience was rather more frustrating than is typical, and we do apologize. Your steps 6 and 7 are not necessary when the process works as designed. We hope we don't screw up again.

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation David...:)
    I have a question about the "identification of the machine" part. Will that mean after a reformat my PC will be regarded as a different machine, suppose if I change the computer name?

21. bellgamin

Dave -- you gotta stop buying registration software from the classified ads on the back pages of National Enquirer. :D

22. BugBopperGuy

We might need something vastly more sophisticated when we have kabillions of users, but for now, you'd simply drop us a note and we'll take care of you. Similarly, if you change your email address for some reason, we'll be able to figure this all out.

23. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I agree that it's paramount that new users understand how Wuzzup works.
    Otherwise you'd get endless complaints from oblivious users on how their files are being 'snatched, 'stolen' and whatnot.

24. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Sorry if this has been posted already.. tried to find the answer in the thread but couldn't locate it.

What antivirus engine is Wuzzup using ? Something from another company, their own engine ?

25. BugBopperGuy

We use our own engine. Most of the effort is done in our Lab, where decisions are made based on sandbox, scanning, and other approaches. What we learn goes to a database, some of which is accessible to BugBopper and Wuzzup, and provides these applications with just what they need to fly along identifying files as good, bad, or unknown. More details about any malware file are provided at BugBopper.com, which currently has detailed info on over 7.5 million malware files. You can read more about our approach here.

Wuzzup and BugBopper provide Confidence Scores for everything detected. These scores suggest what percentage of other scanners would conclude that the file is malware. Some files in your machine will get low confidence scores, and are probably false alarms that just a few other scanners would report as malware.

Because we use dozens of scanners to help us reach our decisions about a file, you might say that we use dozens of engines. But all the work is done in our lab, and BugBopper in your machine will have the smallest footprint of any scanner we've tested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.