WSA uninstall unsuccessful

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Tarnak, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

No it isn't. There was an issue previously where it wasn't uninstalling correctly, but this has been resolved.

3. PrevxHelp

There will be an Uninstall link in the 'Tools' folder under the Start Menu, or you can run:

"c:\program files\webroot\wrsa.exe" -uninstall

to run the uninstaller.

4. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Experienced before that it won't uninstall properly, WSA just kept on respawning itself after reboot, have to boot into WinPE to delete files that is associated with wsa.

5. PrevxHelp

If you or anyone has encountered this with the latest 8.0.4.17 builds, we're definitely interested in taking a closer look. Send me a PM or write into our support inbox so that we can investigate closer.

Thanks!

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I tried to shutdown WSA last thing last night, It restarted automatically, so I tried again. This time I lost the tray icon.

However, it apparently has been respawning itself continually, while I was sleeping. I really want to blast this install from my system...;)

ScreenShot_WSA_Uninstall_retry_17.gif

7. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

WSA when uninstalled is going to be unable to unload its kernel driver until reboot (Yay Windows), so it will set a service flag to delete the kernel driver entry on reboot and also a flag in the registry to delete the files and driver itself. When other security software prevents this flag and deletion entry from being placed, WSA will respawn because it was not allowed to fully uninstall itself.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not sure why this is i have uninstalled many times with no internet connectiono_O the only thing i can think of is for it to remove your system from you list on your account?? otherwise why would it need to be connected? but i have uninstalled just fine without internet. just tried it now..

have you tried to uninstall in safe mode??

9. GSL

GSL Registered Member

This issue has been ongoing since version 2013 build v8.01.xxx(can't remember exact string but knew that it took place somewhere in March or April this year.)

Regarding WSA failing to uninstall and respawning itself could it be due to its tamper protection set to maximum?

10. micafighter

Thank you ! I was able to uninstall WSA by changing the desktop shortcut "destination"
    from

Code:
    "c:\program files\webroot\wrsa.exe" -showgui
    to

Code:
    "c:\program files\webroot\wrsa.exe" -uninstall

I ran the shortcut, and uninstallation started ! I reinstalled WSA, now it is showing up in the installed app list :thumb:

BTW it was my fault it disappeared from installed app list, because i wanted to do a clean reinstall of WSA, and I started uninstalling with my usual uninstall tool, because i am not really fond of win's built-in uninstaller. The uninstall tool also searches for leftover files, but what i messed up was that i searched for leftovers before uninstalling WSA. The uninstall tool removed a few reg keys and a couple of files, no wonder it disappeared. But WSA was still working at that point ! :D So u guess i just activated camouflage :ninja:
    :D :D

11. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

This is one of the reasons I gave up on uninstall tools like Revo a couple years ago. On several instances they created more problems than they solve. I use windows own uninstall utility. If some files get leftover or registry entries, so what? If either bother you, it's not much effort to remove them manually. (I realize that I am probably in the minority here at Wilders....)

12. micafighter

I have bern using revo for a couple of years now. I think it is very useful, the built-in uninstaller very often leave a lot of unnecessary file behind. (Especially some AVs .Fortunately it is not the case with WSA. )

I have never had any problems with revo, it actually saved me a lot of manual searching in regedit and explorer.

In this occasion I was responsible, cause I deleted reg keys and files before uninstalling wsa.

I would like to note that the wsa uninstaller didn't leave anything behind that I can find.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I was suggesting it because many users including me across some forums including webroot community and Wilders forum had solved the problem of by connecting to the internet during uninstallation. It was for the past builds of WSA. Now it's improved.:) Just wanted to rule out one possible solutions at a time.;)

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

A couple of days ago I was gonna follow in your footsteps but fortunately cancelled the search and removal of leftovers with Geek Uninstaller in the nick of time. Phew! As rule I'm now never gonna search for leftovers of AVs with any uninstallers. Only manually.:)

16. PrevxHelp

Great - and for what it's worth, Windows doesn't have a built-in installer: Add/Remove Programs just calls the uninstaller provided by the developers.

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

As mentioned in this thread earlier, I still have the spawning of WSA.exe...

Something is wrong.

18. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Something happening, but why?

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_01.gif

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_02.gif

19. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

It is back...

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_03.gif

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

WSA still misbehaving...now the tray icon has disappeared.

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_04.gif

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_05.gif

21. PrevxHelp

The change that's being blocked is WSA adding itself to be removed. I imagine that the delay in accepting due to the prompt is what's causing the uninstaller to not succeed. I suggest disabling other security software while uninstalling WSA so that it can remove itself unimpeded.

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Apparently, still functional....

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_06.gif

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

In laymans terms please.. Are you meaning that I am trying to uninstall WSA? I am not at the moment, but it sure has the heebie-jeebies, for the moment. :D

24. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Continuing anomaly...

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_07.gif

So, I rebooted....

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_08.gif

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_09.gif

WSA appears to behaving itself, now. But, for how long?

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Nothing untoward that I can see...

ScreenShot_WSA_ latest_10.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.