Wrong drive letter-image restore fails

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mistycat, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Not exactly a W7 issue but that's the OS I'm using. I have a desktop with 2 internal drives, C and D. Previous to this I used Acronis up to version 9 hundreds of times but because it doesn't work with W7 switched to Macrium Reflect (free) which I've used at least a dozen times on this image which verifies as fine. Now when I go to restore any image, Macrium shows the drives fine until it's time to overwrite the partition when it shows the Master Boot as C and my main as D and a restore fails. I used Killdisk to erase the MBR and what shows there as C but any new install shows the drive to install to as E but when it finishes, My Computer shows only C and D. The only thing I can think of is to install a new HDD and hope any install goes to C and restore from there; this computer is a custom built about two months old. Any new image also shows the MBR as C but C is shown as my main drive in Windows (no MBR shown). I've reinstalled Windows 4 times but nothing helps. Hope this all makes sense, back to ATI after this even if it is bloated. Thankyou

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. mistycat

Thanks, I have W7 64 bit installed at the moment which won't create a BartPE but I'll try that later. I'm pretty sure Macrium caused this as I installed ATI 2010 and it has no problem backing up or restoring to C.

4. mistycat

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, should of looked a little harder. Macrium created a letter (C) for the Master Boot Record and deleting it fixed the drive letters in the image, course that caused other problems but I think they're fixable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.