Wrong drive letter-image restore fails

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mistycat, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Not exactly a W7 issue but that's the OS I'm using. I have a desktop with 2 internal drives, C and D. Previous to this I used Acronis up to version 9 hundreds of times but because it doesn't work with W7 switched to Macrium Reflect (free) which I've used at least a dozen times on this image which verifies as fine. Now when I go to restore any image, Macrium shows the drives fine until it's time to overwrite the partition when it shows the Master Boot as C and my main as D and a restore fails. I used Killdisk to erase the MBR and what shows there as C but any new install shows the drive to install to as E but when it finishes, My Computer shows only C and D. The only thing I can think of is to install a new HDD and hope any install goes to C and restore from there; this computer is a custom built about two months old. Any new image also shows the MBR as C but C is shown as my main drive in Windows (no MBR shown). I've reinstalled Windows 4 times but nothing helps. Hope this all makes sense, back to ATI after this even if it is bloated. Thankyou

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. mistycat

Thanks, I have W7 64 bit installed at the moment which won't create a BartPE but I'll try that later. I'm pretty sure Macrium caused this as I installed ATI 2010 and it has no problem backing up or restoring to C.

4. mistycat

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, should of looked a little harder. Macrium created a letter (C) for the Master Boot Record and deleting it fixed the drive letters in the image, course that caused other problems but I think they're fixable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.