WRdata taking ~ 1.5 gb space

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by ReverseGear, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you disable the Chrome extension within Opera, does it stop the slowdown? Perhaps the Opera integration of the Chrome engine isn't exactly the same as that of Chrome and is causing some problems.

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It is better but not completely. I dare to say it is some kind of core incompatibility between WSA and Opera Chromium.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Story continues ...

An usual scenario:
    Booting PC, checking mails and updates of a few applications. PC runs in usual speed. Then starting Opera 18 (Chromium) and browsing webs. The more browsing the browsing speed and the whole PC performance slows down. It ends up in a significant lag between (in seconds) a browser (Opera or IE) is opened and a webpage is loaded. All applications which require access to internet slow to a crawl. I can close all these applications, clean temp files, cache etc. but nothing helps. Only shutting down WSA and starting it up helps until I start to intensively browse in Opera again. Yeah, it may sounds strangely but it is how it happens. So I don't have other option if I want to keep my PC working in the usual speed than to restart WSA from time to time what is really odd and uncomfortable.

It is a reproducible issue and clearly attributable to WSA.

Needs to be fixed!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. PrevxHelp

Can you remove the Chrome extension from Opera and change it to Allow from Protect to see if that fixes it?

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Doesn't seem it has improved.

However, after trying the above I restarted WSA and the speed and PC responsiveness was immediately back.

6. wmBruce

wmBruce Registered Member

I write a lot of code so lots of things are always changing. WRData is taking several GB. I need to move it off of my depleted SSMem and onto a hard disk. How do I do that?

7. PrevxHelp

You can delete files named db[numbers].db if needed, but the next auto-update will be clearing out unused files automatically. The location of the WRData folder can't be changed, although you may be able to change the location of the overall ProgramData folder within Windows (although I'm not sure if this is indeed possible these days).

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi Joe,

I know you're a busy man (presently travelling in Europe) but could you try to resolve this issue as soon as your time allows? It is quite annoying and uncomfortable when I need to restart WSA a few times during a day to get back the browsing speed. It really spoils the otherwise excellent impression from WSA.

Probably only you can help because Lucas said during remote session a couple of weeks ago that it looks like WSA code needs to be adjusted or something like this ... I don't know.

Thanks!

9. PrevxHelp

I've added it to my list and will take a look as soon as possible. In the meantime, you should be updated to the latest WSA build - could you see if your WRData folder has shrunk considerably?

10. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Forwarding this C&P for The Kit.

When somebody at Webroot says it can't be done, I take that as a challenge (so far won three). Sooooooo... I decided to offload Webroot data to a USB hard drive as a PoC.

Formatted a USB thumb drive to NTFS. Shut down Webroot. Rename existing WRData folder. Create empty WRData folder in its place. Mount USB thumb drive NTFS partition into WRData. Move data from old WRData. Restart Webroot.**

SUCCESS! Muahahahahahaha!

Added bonus:
    Due to the speed of the USB flash drive, the PC runs even faster* since WSA writes and reads to WRData are sped up even more.

Caveats:
    - WRData growth limited to the size of the flash drive. May break WSA if space exceeded?
    - Unplugging the USB while WSA is running is A Bad Idea™.

(* WRSA.exe and kernel driver CPU time dropped by 26% average during common system use)

(** No, I will not give more detailed or fool-proof directions. If you have the base knowledge to perform this action, you also have sufficient computer know-how to know some of the ways this can blow up on you and to fix it if it does. If you don't... well... I don't want it to blow up on you.)

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks a lot! Should you need my assistance just drop me a message. :)

Yes, WRData size actually is 100 MB, so comparing to the previously 1,7 GB it has shrunk massively. :)

12. PrevxHelp

Nice idea! That should indeed work - I'm not seeing any technical issue with it, and it would improve performance if not on an SSD.

Techfox1976 strikes again :thumb:

13. PrevxHelp

Excellent - thanks for the update!

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

JFYI, update of two applications (TeamViewer and desktop Viber) brought four additional dbXXXX.db files with a total size of 240 MB what seems to me quite a lot but I remain calm knowing that next WSA update will delete these old redundant files ... hopefully :D

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

After today's update of Opera 18 the folder's size increased about another 0,5 GB, now in total almost 1 GB. Not complaining, just reporting how the folder size is moving up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I've had WSA for quite a while on this machine, but the highest it got was about 500MB, after the update it's only 25MB :)

17. PrevxHelp

I suspect the Opera installer was not trusted (or perhaps Opera itself) and all changed files are continuing to be monitored. You can use Control Active Processes to change them to "Allow" manually if wanted.

18. pegas

pegas Registered Member

No need, Opera's executable is already "allowed" but probably yesterday after update it was "monitored" what created another big sized db files. As I said I believe that these old files will be removed during next update as it happened with the last update.

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have just noticed that my C:\ProgramData\WRData folder is at 17GB(!!!) with several recent dbnnnn.db files at 2GB! (Windows 7). This possibly corresponds to a recent slowdown on my machine.

I believe the fix is to un/reinstall and am ready to do that, but have raised a support ticket first - maybe they can see what is causing it?

Edit: Maybe I posted in the wrong forum - I am not using a beta but a production release of WSA Internet Security Plus.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  20. PrevxHelp

Wow, that is extremely large (needless to say!) Could you send me a scan log to my username at gmail.com so that I can take a look?

Thanks!

21. paulderdash

Hi PrevxHelp

I did raise a support ticket; they replied within 10 hours and requested I upload information they require via their rather neat wsalogs.exe log gathering utility:
    http://download.webroot.com/wsalogs.exe

I do have many apps (some possibly obscure) but I believe my system is clean (according to Malwarebytes Pro).

I will await their further instruction and post the outcome here.

I saved a scan log (right-click on WSA icon in task bar) but it is nearly 42MB so I can only send it via Google Drive ... have done so, but would you still be interested?

22. PrevxHelp

Thanks - I've received it. I think you win the award for the largest scan log! There are some applications on your system constantly executing themselves which is creating the churn you're experiencing. We should be able to correct this centrally and our support team is looking at it as we speak.

23. paulderdash

Initial response from Support was as follows:

After receiving and reviewing the logs it looks like we are excessively monitoring multiple programs that would cause the jump in WrData size.

Have you allowed the following files yet?

GSRunAsUser.exe
    SolutoService.exe
    wcgrid_mcm1_7.28_windows_x86_64
    CryptoPreventEventSvc.exe
    GenieTimelineAgent.exe
    ClockProcess.exe
    NiniteUpdater.exe
    GearsHelper.exe
    soluto.exe

Those are the ones being monitored.

followed by the instruction to uninstall / reinstall the software.

I 'allowed' the files listed, exported settings, reinstalled and reimported settings, but then saw the large WRData folder was still there. I then repeated the process deleting the WRData folder this time before installing again. The WRData folder is now<69MB. I will monitor this.

I would hope they have made adjustments 'in the cloud' to exclude monitoring of these files, as none are suspect.

24. PrevxHelp

Re-importing the configuration options will re-import the older classifications so it would negate the benefits of the uninstall/reinstall. The cloud changes will still be applied centrally but you should uninstall/reinstall and not reimport the configuration options.

25. paulderdash

Hmm ... I assumed those files would not whitelisted hence my adding them to the 'allow' list plus other files I had already allowed. On the Community forum ith as been suggested I raise a ticket to whitelist these files. I see my WRData is up to 430MB now. If the growth persists, I will do as you say but presumably I will need to create my 'Allow' list again if they don't whitelist it centrally, else the monitoring will increase the folder size as before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.