Wow FDISR! Why are you not being updated ;(

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by apathy, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I bought eaz-fix recently and slowly it stole a large chunk of hard drive space
    and I had to uninstall it as it wouldn't give up the space and that was a nightmare. If it wasn't for IFW/IFD I would have lost everything. Then an ultra paranoid buddy of mine who has too much time and money on his hands had a registered copy of FDISR v3.20 build 202 but didn't even use it has he has around 10 different types of rollback software laying around.

FDISR beats them all! Why is this not being developed and who crippled this into the FD-Rescue it is today.

My real question is do I have to keep updating the two snapshots to keep my system current or is what he is trying to say is that you can boot into the rollback snapshot if you want to try out a software that might damage your computer?

And how does archiving and freezing work.

Thanks so much for all the help I have received from the forums and the massive posts on here.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

To answer the question from that quote and the subject line of this thread, Todd from Leapfrog Software explains in the sticky thread at the top of this forum section why the full form of FD-ISR is no longer being sold. (Plus other threads in this section contain in-depth discussions about that topic.):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=205644

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Apathy,
    The large quote is mine and is valid, when you start using FDISR for the first time and want to use the default solution, but that's not the only solution.
    The default solution is the best way to learn FDISR gradually.

An archive is the same as a snapshot, you can BOOT to any snapshot, but you cannot boot to an archive.
    Snapshots = min. 2, max. 10. Archives are unlimited.
    Snapshots can only be created where FDISR is installed, usually partition [C:].
    Archives can be stored on other partitions than [C:] and external HDD's as well.

A frozen snapshot is like a normal snapshot, but after reboot all changes are GONE.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

So let's see if I get this straight, if I want to test out a software I stay in the WORK snapshot, install the software and see if it is right for me then to get rid of it then copy/update from rollback(which has my previous state) to work(which is my current state) and then everything is back to the way it was.

Is that the default way to use the software? I get a lot of email and avira updates and such so should I update my rollback on a regular basis to make sure when I want to uninstall a program cleanly I don't lose anything?

Thanks as always.

5. ErikAlbert

That is correct. FDISR always creates IDENTICAL snapshots and the source snapshot always decides what the destination snapshot will be.

At the end of the day, you run Avira and when everything is OK, you copy/update from WORK snapshot to ROLLBACK snapshot.
    Tomorrow you start working in your WORK snapshot again.

You can also exclude (anchor) DATA folders. Anchored objects are not included in snapshots or archives anymore.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Wow,

The beauty of this program is that you know exactly how much space it will take and being able to boot in to snapshots is wonderful. I don't care how old this software becomes it puts to shame just about everything else on the market. Btw. If I want to use IFW/IFD for normal backups, should I do anything special or just rely on IFW/IFD and archives from FDISR.

Thanks Much Erik, i probably would be pulling my hair out trying to figure out this incredible software.

I just had a thought that whenever i was going to 'test' a software I can update the rollback snapshot from the work snapshot before installing the software so everything is still in tact. Have any of you seen any programs that had problems working after rolling back?

Danke Schoen

7. ErikAlbert

If you are not satisfied with THIS solution, which can happen later. There are several other solutions to make it better. You only have to ask.
    The copy/update is very reliable, never failed to my knowledge.

Some software can corrupt FDISR, that's why you still need Image Backup, but it happens very rare.
    The software "Baseline Shield" is one of these softwares. It's a good exercise to test your image backup software. :D

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

There is an option that in FDISR that I just love.

TAKE NOTE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS:

The ability to exclude files/folders in the snapshots. I have an archive
    folder that does not need to be backed up and it is normally very large
    which cuts down on on the snapshot size.

9. ErikAlbert

Alot is possible. FDISR has only technical rules, while the user is free to do whatever he wants within the limit of these technical rules.

At this moment FDISR is the very best ISR-software available, all the rest is mediocre and less than FDISR.

10. apathy

apathy Registered Member

One last question and I think I get the gist of it. How does the work snapshot get updated as you normally use you computer and haven't rolled back any changes.

Thanks for the patience btw.

11. ErikAlbert

Your daily snapshot is updated as before you used FDISR. Each time you change it or a software changes it, (or a malware changes it), ... your snapshot will be updated immediately and all changes will be still there after reboot.

Only a FROZEN snapshot is different, it accepts every change between two reboots, but after reboot all changes are GONE.
    My advice : don't use a frozen snapshot in the beginning, learn FDISR the normal way first and once you understand and tried each function, you can do whatever you want.

If your work snapshot is in serious trouble, just reboot, press the F1-key, boot to your rollback snapshot and recover your work snapshot from there. After that, boot to your work snapshot and continue like nothing happened.
    That's called Immediate System Recovery. System = Windows + Applications. Recovery = back to a healthy state. It's all very simple.

12. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

I think the Deepfreeze, Returnil Free, Powershadow can do the same work.:D

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Wish it were so, but alas it isn't.

14. ErikAlbert

Not true. All 3 have serious shortcomings compared with FDISR, I already investigated this.
    FDISR isn't terminated, because it wasn't good enough, it's still the king of all similar softwares.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hey QQ2595, Your in for some learning time,at least your quote appears to be showing your total lack of knowledge about this stuff.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

One of the many other Fabulous features that FD-ISR (Genuine Original) has over "ALL" others, to name one that i find better then storing a dozen images, is it's 10 snapshot limit followed by unlimited duplicates/archives.

IF you happen to be in that Elite Group of customers who did happen to get in on it, i can name no other program P.E.R.I.O.D. that will allot a user to create 10 completely different "bootable" systems on a single HD partition and allow you to SAVE them safely isolated off to another HD as achives for preservation/rescue purposes.

This is been LEGENDARY and as innovatively creative as it gets!

LEAPFROG!!

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

FDISR/BootBack is that flexible, so i use it with only 2 snapshots and 2 archives on a second internal drive.I know many have more for test/evaluate stuff,i have this setup only for system recovery and sofar it fixed many issues which otherwise should had forced me to format and reinstall. :thumb:

edit: Of course SP as a last safety net,so i feel double confident.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  18. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i am also start from the end and finish with FDISR which is the king of them all

ONE ISR TO ROLL THEM ALL

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive heard so much about fdisr that i wanted to try it.I downloaded first defence isr proffesional version 3.21 build 203 from here...
    http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/first-defense.html
    Its a 14 day trial.Can the experts tell me whether this build is a "good build"? and how (if i decided to keep it) could i purchase this to get a serial?.I notice its horizon datasys and clicking first defence homepage in help ,takes me to "first defence isr rescue" page ,which seems to be a different product.Will the serial for that work with the version i have?
    tia
    ellison

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :thumb:

21. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

You can get the latest updated FDISR Version from here:
    http://www.spursuits.com/bootback/download.asp

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah, if anything resembling the name FD-ISR is in circulations it would be from it's now distributors i would think, and anything else would have to be considered HOT!

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

WARNING: according to SiteAdvisor, proceed to BrotherSoft at your own risk!

Acadia

25. ErikAlbert

The strength of FDISR are archives and that is missing in ALL other ISR-softwares and keep in mind that archives are a real part of ISR, not IB.
    All the actual ISR-softwares, based on virtualization, can't remember any previous system state, not even one. As long that doesn't happen, I won't use them. The only way to get a previous system state is using Image Backup, which isn't practical for daily usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.