wow f-secure made my system crawl

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onearmbandit

onearmbandit Registered Member

As trjam states there are many features included in F-Secure, especially Internet Security. What I believe the company have recognised is the importance of protection at every level within the system, so we naturally see new features as the product develops. They were the first vendor to tackle the complexity of rootkit detection and release a solution (backlight engine)!

What isn't obvious, nor available through the installer, is that you can actually uninstall unwanted features via the command line, such as Parental Control - thus reducing the load.

The Trend screenshot does only show the processes of their anti-virus/anti-spyware product rather than their heavier firewall product.
    When you think about it, the firewall is one of the hardest working processes on an interconnected system. This will only increase with network bandwith.
    Don't believe what Windows process explorer is telling you, it's just a Windows API call to hide a process from view!
    While speaking about firewalls, I usually recommend to most home users that they have a desktop firewall product; most state they have one on their router, but ask them:
    1) Is your router/firewall packet, stateful or application layer?
    2) Would it scan outgoing connections?

If you really wanted a comparision between just AV products then try the still supported corporate F-Secure Anti-Virus for workstations. It's very fast and supports older and much slower hardware.

With this said what has worried me with F-Secure home user products is the lack of granularity with some of it's features. I don't know what granularity the recent FSIS2008 product has, but I remember in the 2006 version 3rd party cookies were either on or off. It needed the ability to be on with a user defined exception list for URL's. Just because the cookie doesn't originate from the current domain doesn't necessarily mean it's potentially an issue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo that trend suite is ridiculous. i uninstalled it from a freinds system and wow what a difference.. that was way worse than f-secure..

3. Ghostcloak

Ghostcloak Registered Member

F-Secure is a resource hog, Too bad it actually a very good antivirus.
    It has 14 process & 5 services, eats a lot of memory & cpu cycles. I just tried a trial of it, unistalled it & went back to nod32.:D

4. onearmbandit

onearmbandit Registered Member

I think performance is often a moot point during comparisions or discussions because what runs perfectly happy on one system is poor on another. This is for all vendor products on the market. Given your systems current environment - either you find one that performs out-of the box, or you take the time to troubleshoot issues with a product you know well, understand and trust.

As already mentioned, with F-Secure you can uninstall some of the unwanted features. Suppose you have F-Secure Internet Security and have no need for Parental Control, then uninstall it...
    1) Open regedit
    2) Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    3) Find the F-Secure Parental Control key
    4) Double click on UninstallString and copy the value
    5) Open a command line, paste the entry and then hit the enter key

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. apm

apm Registered Member

Infact the ram usage from taskmgr is ref only, at my test install of TM AV+AS, my ram went up from 10xmb to 2xxmb after install,but system not so slow down; but my test of f-secure (AV+email scan only), it's not only more ram, but also more slow down of system when opening programs (all set to realtime scan all files without archive scan). f-secure with good features, it update sigs plus program patches (some others can update sigs only), but just can't take the slow down:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.