WOW ewido is AWSOME

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by cheater87, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

this thing found 4 trojans that i didn't know i had. mcafee didn't even spot them with the newest deff files.

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi cheater,

I wouldn't be raising the flags just yet ! Ewido is known for detecting FP's, so i would be very cautious in deleting those things it's found, as they could be needed. I would scan/submit them with reliable AV/AT online first.

StevieO

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

uh oh i deleted them

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

you should send them to ewido to analayis it to make sure.

if u do send it to ewido u could be helping loads of ppl:D

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

All programs exhibit FP's from time to time but that comment strikes me that you are insinuating Ewido has an abnormal amount of FP's. Care to share with us Sp what info you have that can substantuate that claim ?

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Bubba

I said "Ewido is known for detecting FP's" not " insinuating Ewido has an abnormal amount of FP's." as you suggested.

I think you meant Fp not Sp ! As you requested, here is a small sample.

Ewido false positives

We have been finding some cases of false positives with the new version of Ewido, so you need to step through the fixes one-by-one.*
    In particular, watch for alerts that have the word "Heuristic" in them - if you recognize the file name as "friendly," these may actually be false positives) select "none" as the action.*

http://www.pchelpforum.com/installation-guides/13452-ewido-installation-configuration-useage.html

NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.** **(Ewido for example has been flagging parts of AVG Anti-Virus, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk")

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t64840.html

I have no desire to participate in a, i can show you more than you can, sort of exchange. Nor i imagine would you or anyone else, as that wouldn't be very constructive to anyone. So how about if we agree it has had teething troubles, as products can and do, and they are doing their best to sort them out ! I am not, nor did i, say it was rubbish, or even think that.

I do realise that Ewido now graces this forum, officially, so i expect some defense of it. But fair comment, is fair comment i believe, which will serve everybody well in the end.

The main point i would have to say about it is, it's extremely large program size of 7.05 MB, compared to a lot of the other Anti Trojans that are around.

Here's just a few that are between, smaller and much smaller.

TrojanHunter is 5.93MB

The Cleaner is 4.45MB

a2 is 3.75MB

Tauscan is 1.85MB

BOClean is 500kb

It's interesting to note, that the smallest one of all, is one of the most effective, and also the most thought of in many forums etc.

StevieO

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Actually I meant what I wrote.
    "teething troubles" infers a new program of which Ewido is not and given the info you shared it's best we simply agree to disagree considering the lack there of.

8. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Most of these instructions were written when version 3.5 was still very new and indeed had troubles with false positives. Most of the newer ones come from the heuristics - a feature which many of the competitors don't even offer (maybe for good reason :)). Btw. the default option for any detected item is to create an encrypted backup (again, a feature which some competitors in the AT market don't have).

Also, please keep in mind: The risk of false positives with BOClean is by design much lower as it only scans running applications whereas with any other scanner you can scan your entire harddisk resulting in a much higher number of scanned items (eg. ~200.000 vs. ~200) and therefore in a much higher risk of having false positives.

Concerning the size of the program... In the days of several hundred GBs or even TBs of disk space, GBs of RAM and highspeed internet access this shouldn't be an issue at all. I personally think it's even one of the smallest programs when you have a look at the features and the huge database. For example, all the language files already sum up to about 450 KB and I think it's worth it... Better have a slightly bigger program in 13 languages than a "disk space saver" in just one, don't you think? :)

Also let's do some maths on the database... Currently about 230.000 signatures... 4,65 MB in size... This results in an average size of 21 bytes per signature - even most of the names like "Adware.BetterInternet" normally require almost this number or even more bytes to be stored.
    As you can see there has already gone some major work into optimizing the way we store signatures to keep the size of the database as small as possible but you will hit a certain point where you can't optimize any further without losing vital data.

9. oldBear

oldBear Registered Member

I tend to agree with the awsome comment.

I've installed Ewido and scanned my 5 family computers (over 2TB of storage) with nary a false positive.

I purposely visited the toolbarbucks site and was immediately warned of an intrusion attempt by ewido.

I've ordered before the trial is up. Best performance of anything I've tried so far.

cheers

10. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

TrojanHunter = needs much improving, perhaps Gavin can add enough signatures (or new version) to make it worth buying

The Cleaner = complete garbage

a2 = needs much improving, doesn't scan in archives etc. Should be nice in the next version.

Tauscan = complete garbage

BOClean = only scans memory, easy to terminate by malware, conflicts with other security apps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.