Would you prefer a tablet?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Dec 29, 2013.

?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2014.
  1. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to my Laptop

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to my Desktop

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to both my Laptop and Desktop

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No - please mention why would you think so

45 vote(s)
    84.9%
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

No in general, but it depends on the context. I think a tablet is fine for limited tasks on the go, such as reading, light web browsing, and watching videos. But at home, I don't see it as a replacement for my desktop.

3. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

For everyday use I prefer desktop or laptop over tablet. When not at home I prefer to take with me my tablet.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, I'd prefer a laptop with touchscreen support.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I could probably manage with a tablet + desktop at home, but at work laptop is needed.

6. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Tablet? - no way. Hardly anything of a productive nature can be performed on a tablet. Tablets are fine for reading ebooks, your email and browsing the web (although a smart phone can accomplish the latter two) and a laptop does all three very well.

I'm a laptop guy. I use a 13" MacBook Air when travelling (which is fantastic!) and although I'm presently using a 17" HP Notebook at home, I may be switching to a MacBook Pro pretty soon for home use.

Cruise

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Laptop all the way.
    I see no advantage of tablets over laptops like Macbooks or Ultrabooks.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

On my two desktops:

1. Two 27 inch monitors
    2 Two 19 Inch monitors

So why would I want a tablet.

9. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I love my laptop and only use a tablet when I need to travel very light. A tablet is OK for reading forums, PDF's, etc., but I find it useless for word processing or photo or video editing.

10. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

No open source OS and lack of trackpoint would steer me towards either desktop or a laptop.

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

no - but one day i hope to have a smart phone that's as powerful as a gaming laptop that folds out into a tablet that i can connect to a monitor and keyboard at home to use as a laptop or desktop... maybe in 10 years or something.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My 15.6" i7 Processor 3635QM Samsung notebook weighs 2.40 kg, 2.1 cm thick and with 5 hours battery life at max performance, has all the power I need and portability wherever I go.

13. guest

guest Guest

No. Too big for a mobile gadget, too uncomfortable for serious tasks.

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I much prefer laptops to tablets (and don't use a desktop). I find tablets way too limited when compared to a PC. Right now I have 50 tabs open in my browser (I usually have around that many open), and I don't know how what would go on a tablet - I don't know if I could even have that many open.

I do have a tablet which I use a little bit only for gaming, but only paid $100 for it. I would never spend much more than that for a tablet, as I don't think it's worth it for how little I use it. However to be fair I wouldn't spend over $200 on a laptop.

15. roger_m

What about a 7" tablet?

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I do almost all of my tech related work at my home, or on the machines of other people. When I go out I'm normally on a mission and have something to do (non computer related), or trying to get away and enjoy myself, in which case I don't wanna be near technology other than maybe my Zune for some tunes while waiting for a train or something.

I like being outdoors and taking in the nature... not having my head in some device, perpetually texting, etc... like everyone else I see out there.

I own a laptop but rarely ever use it. I used to for "sensitive things" using public wifi/hotspots and chained VPN's. But I'm not really in that game anymore and it pretty much collects dust now.

I'm a desktop guy.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

With enough RAM, yes. You can even have the same OS if the tablet is x86 instead of ARM. Even with ARM, rooted Android or Ubuntu for Android aren't slouches either.

Only limitation is input and screen, which can be extended via Bluetooth mouse/keyboard and HDMI monitor.

18. roger_m

True, but I'd much rather have a laptop vs a tablet, and have a much bigger screen and a real keyboard.

19. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

No Tablet for me, I'm a Desktop person. Large Monitor (so I can see what I'm looking at), Real keyboard with large letters and a Big Box that holds all the goodies. :D Truthfully I don't even like laptops, screens too small.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Did you guys miss my second line? Still, it's not worth the price and effort compared to laptops/desktops though.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I don't own a Tablet. But I would love to be able to use some of the weather apps that are available on Win or Mac OS X as well :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  22. guest

guest Guest

3.2" is the biggest one I can take.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You got to be kidding, 3.2" is way too small even for a touch screen phone! :D
    I used to think 4" was enough then i got a phone with a 4.8" screen and now i think its still not enough but very very close to what i would call the best screen size.
    IMO the ideal screen size for me would be 5". No more, 4.8" is already quite uncomfortable to carry around, specially when i get down/kneel/crouch. :D

24. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'd have no real use for a tablet. The last thing I need is another internet device. Spend too much time on it now.

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No, simply does not cut it.
    Performance, ergonomics, etc.
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.