Would you pay for Clam AV (LInux)

Discussion in 'polls' started by SuperSapien, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Would you pay for Clam AV for LInux if it had....

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe

20.0%
  3. No

80.0%
  1. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

With viruses and malware becoming more common for Linux especially once a good share of the Windows7&8.1 users move to Linux. So I'm curious would you pay for Clam AV if it had extra features and a better database? Such as web shields, file shield, mail shield, more virus/malware signatures, security module integration and gui (AppArmor and GR Security [enterprise only]) Firejail integration and enhanced gui, RK Hunter integration, keystroke encryption feature, plus application/ppa/repository whitelisting. It would also have a optional community IQ like feature (for better virus/malware signatures) and full tech support for enterprise.

BTW this would at first be available for Debian/Ubuntu based distros only.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Just how common are viruses and malware for Linux?

Screenshot 2018-04-03 at 10.48.41.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

According to StatCounter Linux is still under 1.5% of the market share. The 2.17% of 'Unknown' is probably mostly Android.

I've yet to see any real evidence that alleged increasing amounts of malware propose any real existential threat to most average Linux users. I can however imagine a scenario where distributors of anti-virus programs would like to increase their sales to the Linux market. Most people (myself included) move to Linux to circumvent using an AV in the first place. One thing I know for certain is that when I fire up my Lenovo G500 laptop, running Ubuntu, an AV won't try to accidentally eviscerate it with false-positives.

IMG_20180305_110401.jpg

Which is one of the biggest attractions of Linux. So, no, I wouldn't be tempted to pay for an AV on Ubuntu.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

No, not even free.
    Linux is intrinsically safe, you just have to understand why and work accordingly.
    @
    [​IMG]
    Daveski17 Is that a hole in your desk where your cable mouse is going to?

4. Daveski17

I think it's an optical illusion, the mouse is an Asus with a retractable lead.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks.

6. Daveski17

You're welcome.

IMG_20180403_135045.jpg

It wasn't particularly expensive and folds away nicely.

7. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

There is Mandatory access control (AppArmor, SELinux) in Gnu/Linux. You just need to configure via config files and keep OS up-to-date.
    There are the same browsers you run on Windows (well, there is no Microsoft browsers), so install the same privacy and security enhancing add-ons.

I don't have AV even on Windows OS.

8. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

Thats kind of dangerous especially if your surfing the web AKA going to unknown websites, I hope at least you using a sandbox or have your firewall properly configured.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.