Would you change your AV because of this test?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wordward, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

The only test in which i believe, is Jotti's result and personal experience. So i couldn't care less of what tests say. Computer magazines are full of tests too and often they give very different results, apart the ridiculously high detection rates of course.

I think it is obvious how such results come up and how come in real life people get infected even when they have the super-duper antivirus that according to tests, should save them 99,99% times. Apparently, in real life, users encounter the "exceptions" far more often than the "testers". :rolleyes:

It is called marketing and biased testing. In pharmaceutical companies, to test the efficiency of a drug, one of the common tests, is the "double blind" method, where neither the patient nor the researcher is aware of which drug is the real one to test and which the placebo. This, because even the knowledge of the researcher can influence the result. Now that's testing! Draw your own conclusions...

3. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

no, i don't take a **** in these tests, the only tests that matter are "certified gold by me tests" to me.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It doesn't hurt if the AV you use has performed well in past testing but to me that is not the deciding factor. If a particular AV runs well on my computer and keeps me from becoming infected with malware is what I am looking for. I have used many that fit the criteria but there are two that excell at being very compatable with my computers so I use those and have never been infected while useing either one of them.:thumb: But which two they are is another story altogether.

bigc

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The others have ESP, so clue some of us in on what test you are speaking of Please :doubt:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Thanks Bubba, I thought I was the only one that missed something.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Wordward is probably referring to the most recent test by AV-Test, which has been under much discussion of late.

To answer the original question, I won't change my AV because of the results of this or any other test. Your real world use is the important thing here.

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Very good.Exactly my same policy.In fact i will take this a little further.In these tests the overall result of at least the first 5 to 10 av is above 95% .In my opinion the av's have long ago lost the battle with malware,and they should focus more on hips or sandbox technlogy to be integrated in them,and not advertise the costumers (majority of them not so techy like most users of this forum) the fact that theyr product stopped 98% of malwareat some tests.Why don't they display the results of the 0 day tests as i remember the highest rate was about 60%,not that i would belive this also but at least i consider it more close to the truth.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

+1 :thumb:

10. computer geek

of course i agree, i wouldn't be too pleased if m:D c:D a:D f:D e:D e:D got 5% on a test! :D However as you said, it isn't the deciding factor.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

The one I could have swore I put the URL to in my opening post. I put it there now, but again I could have swore it was there earlier. Are you playing tricks on me Bubba? LOL. Here is again anyway. http://virusinfo.info/index.php?page=testseng

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb always scores well in comparison on their tests, but i still doubt their validity.

but i could be wrong, but it doesnt matter... any test, will not change my mind about my trusty green spider.

13. computer geek

and nothing will change mine about the grey and red square.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

maybe i should agree with this test, drweb scores good i comparison. lol

:rolleyes:

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Nope. I wouldnt change my AV.

16. computer geek

agreed

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt say because of this test...

but i am SURE, 100% that there are people who change/choose their av based on av-comparatives and av-test results though.

18. computer geek

yeah, when i used to be 8

19. s4u

s4u Registered Member

I wouldn't change it because of these tests at all. But it is nice to read

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well I have changed mine recently, but not because of any tests though.
    Went from Avast to NOD32 3.0 trial to see how the new version was.
    Had problems within a week or so, then picked up the free 6 month trial of Avira AntiVir Premium.
    Test or no test Avira is working great on my box and have no plans to change it any time soon. :D

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Would I change my AV because of (whatever) test? Sure -- for a day or 2. It's fun (inasmuch as I use Image for Windows). It's a better hobby than collecting stamps, golf, etc. But I always quickly go back to my main man (Avira Prem).

22. egghead

egghead Registered Member

What? Kaspersky not nummero uno. I bin that Russian rubbish. :rolleyes: :D ;)

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I doubt I'd make a change.

24. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Ok I tried changing from NOD32 to KAV. That was a mistake. KAV slows my pc down like mad. I also tried Antivir but didnt like having 5 extra processes. I might try Dr.Web.

25. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

You are always questioning things like you don't trust any app you install on your PC. Comodo is a proven good firewall and NOD32 is a proven good AV. Find something good and stick with it. $40 spent on NOD32 was well worth it. This test I don't believe and most companies use AV Comparatives. NOD32,KAV and Antivir are always the top scorers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.