Would This Be Possible With FD-ISR?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by huntnyc, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Just checking to see if I could use FD_ISR in the following way. Is it possible to have your primary snapshot and then a fallback snapshot along with different archives off line of your primary snapshot as you make various changes to it? What I mean is not copying and updating an existing archive but different archives that represent different changes you have made to the primary snapshot? Are these archived files just as big as the snapshots are on your C drive? Hope I am clear because what I am looking for is a way to have about 5 differently tweaked snashots by just choosing a different archive to update my primary snapshot?

I am coming from using Rollback but had to give it up for now becaus eon my system it would not remain stable. That is just my experience of what I am sure has been a fine product for others. Thanks for your help on this.

Gary

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

The different archives are compressed a bit, but still large. My 20g worth of data goes into a 16g archive.

The only thing would the the initial creation time, but heck yes it would work. I would make my fallback snapshot, a stripped down one. All you need it for is a place to boot. Then you could have 5 or more different archives and either create new snapshots, or just keep replacing the primary snapshot with the archive of choice.

My extreme test of this was replacing my primary when I had vista loaded on it with my XP pro setup by booting to secondary and doing a copy update from the archive to primary. Did it as well as an image restore.

Pete

3. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Sounds good Pete. Will think about my strategy a little more based on what you said about size of archives. I guess trading disk space for stability should be reasonable enough.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.