Would my USB keyboard lose any functionality e.g...

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

hotkeys, using a USB Keyboard Female to PS2 Computer Adapter Male? My BIOS, being to old, has no features that will enable my USB board to power up and immediately enter the BIOS, Safe Mode or snapshot type recovery applications. Thank you!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

can you access Bios with that usb keyboard? If you can't then you need a spare that will allow you to that.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Exactly (I can't with the USB board), and that is how I would deal with it should disaster strike, so it's not a major issue. Other options (if I didn't have a PS/2 board) would have possibly been an AC powered USB hub to get immediate power to the USB keyboard.
    edit: Have learned that the hotkeys and other Logitech Set Point features would not work. The PS2 board is always close by so no major concern!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It makes sense hot keys would not work. The problem is on older boards the USB ports are often not recognized until after the system gets past POST and the necessary drivers are installed. Any programmed hot keys would still come in after the fact and too late. So keeping a cheap PS/2 motherboard (and mouse) in your junk drawer is a good idea.

You might also check your motherboard or computer maker's website. There might be a BIOS update that addresses this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.