WOT Replacement

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have, for some time, had the WOT Firefox add-on installed on my desktop computer. Today I attempted to install it on my laptop but it looked so hideous I deleted it. If anyone has an add-on similar to WOT installed on their computer and would recommend it I would appreciate it. I looked through the Firefox add-on listing and the only one I recognized was BitDefenders Traffic Light which I know nothing about. So if any of our Forum Members can help me out I would appreciate it very much. As always I would thank you in advance.

John

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I have been using Adguards desktop version and it includes their modified WOT. Same as poster 53 on malwaretips, who is also a Wilders member.

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I deleted WOT because of its liberal bias in flagging sites, which made it completely untrustworthy in evaluating safe sites.

Nowadays, I'm satisfied with Bit Defender's Traffic Light.

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

We are talking about two different versions here. And I have not had a issue with Adguards version . That is Adguard for Windows paid yearly sub. not the free crap.
    Plus I have added extra filters and removed some default install one I would never need.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Does FF deem Avira Browser Safety unacceptable?

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Whatever you choose, make sure it is on the list of add-ons that will be converted to a WebExtension. Mozilla plans to drop legacy add-on support with the release of Firefox 57 (eta November 2017).

I am not sure that Bit Defender Traffic Light will a WebExtension as it has not been updated as an add-on for a long time.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

BitDefender Traffic Light slowed FF to a crawl on my machines and the site annotations only rarely showed up.

9. RioHN

RioHN Registered Member

It's always confused me; what do most people use these addons for? I assume sites they purchase from?
    Seems a huge privacy risk handing over every site you visit to a company in exchange for a rating. You can look up ratings on the WOT website In the event you want to buy from a company you don't trust (how often is that?) and for general browsing security It adds little to nothing compared to an updated system/browser with security extensions.

Wasn't WOT involved in a privacy scandal only 4 months or so back?

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

My opinion, they give a false sense of security.
    Yes.

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I don't believe there's a replacement for WOT, and using it is now out of the question; same with other real time ratings tools, they'll all want to phone home.
    What I do is using Flagfox, I right click the icon and chose WOT or SiteAdvisor, or others and check the sites on demand.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I think that a project that relies on user's rating of safety of a website is overcome nowadays. The human factor is what makes problems (regardless of industry). It was good 10 years ago when adblocking industry was in infancy but today there are sophisticated methods for evaluation of websites and their results are transformed then in to filter rules of adblocking solutions.

13. guest

guest Guest

Totally agree, anyway who need reputation ratings from users unfathomably clueless about what is security for 90% of them...

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Same, here. :thumb:

15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

uBlock is a decent replacement with its usage of hosts file. could also be used as an adware blocker.
    as i already wrote somewhere - ublock can replace a dozen other extensions with ease.

uBo is complete independent, needs only a browser, no 3rd-party crap - and is high reliable!

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I totally agree, I always considered these type of service to be a huge privacy risk. So the WOT scandal was nor surprise to me, weird that so many people are using this. I also wonder how services like "safe browsing" work, I suppose they don't monitor every site that you visit, never read anything bad about it.

https://safebrowsing.google.com/

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

18. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

same as before - useless crap (and the behind), get a descent ad-/site-blocker

19. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Never gonna trust them again. :thumbd:

20. guest

guest Guest

never even trusted them once :D

21. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Lost my trust in them. Uninstalled, never to reinstalled again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.