Wot Else May I Need Or Consider Gettin'??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LJM Master, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deefilly

deefilly Registered Member

I am considering using Foxfire but have some concerns. First off I do not like that downloads are placed on the desktop. Is there a way around this feature?

Secondly I wonder how much of my software will not work with it properly. Is there any info reguarding what will or will not work with Foxfire? Espically programs such as Winamp, iNTERNET Turbo, Flashget and Print Key and Winzip.

And how difficult is it to install? Do you have to buy software to remove IE first?

I'd appreciate any info.

Deefilly

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Everything will work.

Easy to install. You buy nothing and don't remove IE.

3. Firefox guy

Firefox guy Guest

Tools-->options-->download. Select either "Ask me where to save every file" or "Save all files to this folder (selectable).

The answers in order are

1) works - foxytunes rulez with it.
    2) don't know, but it looks like a scam, firefox runs very fast on dialups anyway
    3) works ,with some tweaks
    4) works
    5) works

It comes with a installer, easy as pie. It will ask you where you want to install the program, what you want to install. that's it.

No, of course not. You can run both IE and "foxfire" together.

Next..

4. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

So what does "tea timer" do... cause i HAVE MINE set only to the other one

5. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

eh, i dunno bout firefox. i have it and after i installed it. still having IE^ as default. it changed stuff on my system. when i went to view a doc or html it had the firefox emblem on it. and winzip failed to work anymore. so i right clicked on the file and chose to change it back to IE6 and no problems. winzip worked again and the only other prg i had to reinstall was nti cd maker somehow it wouldnt boot up gave me a incorrect install or something. reinstalled it and it works. thing is i only installed firefox never told it to do anything. never set it as default or nothing so why then did it just decide to change the way i viewed stuff and make winzip and the other prg fail.? i had the arguement wuith someone else on here before. i still have the firfox on here but i am really thinking strongly about gittin rid of it. i cant have that thing changing things on me without me telling it to. i mean it wasnt all the difficult to fix, but my point is, why should i of had to do it at all.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is this unchecked in Firefox? IE has a similar place to check. You should be able to uncheck the one in Firefox and check the one in IE and everything will be normal.
    Tools, options, general in Firefox. Tools, internet options, programs in IE.

Attached Files:

7. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

thing is i just installed it and it made the changes to stuff on its own i left ie as the default. when asked if i wanted firefox default i said no. it still switched stuff around on me and fouled up 2 prgs. 1 i had to reinstall once i switched the view back and the other worked soon as i switched it back. weird stuff.

8. The Trooper

The Trooper Registered Member

now i have AVG, should i be disabling norton?

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would keep Norton over AVG if you still have a license for it. You may want to take a look at a few websites such as:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

and

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

in regards to how each product compares.

You could always use AVG as a backup on-demand scanner.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

10. The Trooper

The Trooper Registered Member

would a-squared be a good anti-trojan for me to get?

11. Blackspear

If you are looking at FREE then Ewido, if PAID then TDS-3

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Boclean would be a good choice too. ;)

It's not free, but has a 30 day moneyback guarantee. :cool:

snowbound

13. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

Trojanhunter is another AT to be put under consideration.

Starrob

14. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

All depends if The Trooper is running Win 98 or not. If the answer is yes, then as far as I'm aware its A2 or nothing.

15. Oneothora

Oneothora Registered Member

Hiya deefilly,

Let me tell you hunny, FireFox rocks my world. I had some problems with it at first since I switched to it from IE and didn't know crap about it. But it when installing it, it asks if you want to import from IE. Personally, I said no and went and got all the information and Plugins I needed for FireFox on FireFox Central.

I'm going to have to disagree with MAL123, IE is not safer than FireFox, I saw an actual testing of the two and IE is filled with nasties floating in pixel world just waiting to empty out into your computer like a drain. Sure FireFox isn't PERFECT, but it stops alot of things like a net, therefor letting clear things go down the drain. People catch my drift? :p Or am I being too metaphorical?
    PLUS, FireFox Comes with this cute all in one Popup Blocker and searchbar thing with the Search Engine of your choice, so no more downloading browser search engines or typing in that awfully long website name to research. :D

Hope that settles doubts with FireFox. I'm a FireFox fan all the way baby! http://www.mozilla.org/images/product-firefox.png

Take care and play safe!

- Oneo

16. sarment

sarment Registered Member

blackspear-
    I downloaded spyware guard as you suggested, and then updated the protection list. The list had an update date of 1/22/04? Is this still a good program?

17. Blackspear

It is a FANTASTIC program that very RARELY updates, it doesn't need to due to the way it is designed.

18. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I read a few of those post and am still a little unsure of what I REALLY need to have as far as what I do on the internet. I mean how would I know if I realllllllllyyy need spywareblaster and the other things you mentioned blackspear?

19. Blackspear

Hi Theresa, what I call an absolute basic/minimum requirement can be seen HERE. Each product has a simple sentence of what it does, the links provided to each piece of software will give further explanations. I also advise that the basic/minimum setup is just that, very very minimal, and if you try to go everywhere and anywhere on the internet, prepare to have problems and lots of them.

You mentioned SpwareBlaster and elsewhere removing Spybot Search and Destroy. SpywareBlaster is prevention software to prevent Spyware programs installing in the first place. Spybot Search and Destroy has a small amount of prevention, though its main purpose id removal of Spyware, Malware, Adware etc…

Hope this helps…

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  20. rx29

rx29 Registered Member

Hi! processguard is nice; I have it; also peerguardian 2 by methlabs is fun. My problem is firewalls not liking networks and windows xp freezing and crash and burning. Wilders is great isn't it?

21. Blackspear

I'm about to try Look 'n' Stop Firewall for this very reason.

22. MaryC334

MaryC334 Registered Member

As a victim of identity theft himself, John W. Scherer, CEO and Founder of Video Professor, is leading the fight to protect others from a similar fate.

Appearing on numerous national broadcasts, Scherer has embarked upon a one-man crusade to stop identity thieves in their tracks. By increasing general awareness and exposing the tactics used by identity thieves, Scherer hopes to encourage the public to take the necessary measures to prevent future attacks.

Read more about it at: http://www.videoprofessor.com/press/news_products_021005.html

23. Reub

Reub Registered Member

Just wondering in this day and age, what are considered 'safe practices'. Silly question I know, but I am on my PC (with ADSL) all day everyday and have just replaced the other puter with a brand spanking newbie and want to look after the system as much as possible. (I am using AVG, ad-aware)

Cheers, Reub

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Read this link, especially the post written by Blackspear.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84921

Keep in mind that a set of security softwares is always a PERSONAL choice.
    Alot has to do with your behaviour on the internet, degree of knowledge/experience, degree of paranoia, personal taste and your wallet.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
    Watch your post for awhile other members might reply as well.

P.S.: stupid or silly questions don't exist, only answers can be stupid or silly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  25. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

That's a silly answer. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.