Wot Else May I Need Or Consider Gettin'??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LJM Master, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LJM Master

LJM Master Registered Member

Well, I gotta go now, it's time to sleep where I am, i'll come back to Wilders tomorrow, to check if any1's replied with anythin' whatsoever, even tho i'm not expectin' it....

So, i'll see u guys later...!!

But I can't leave without, once again, thankin' all of u, for all ure help an' all ure contributions...as always, it's appreciated, an' I look forward to speakin' to u all again....in the near future, so bye for now!!

Cheers.....(Regards)
    LJM

2. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

:doubt: I would also like to know what you would recommend for me.

I currently have:

Anti-Virus - Norton Anti-Virus 2004 Pro (trialware coming to an end though)
    -> considering trying Avast! next

Firewall - ZoneAlarm (free) v4.5

Spyware Prev. - Ad-Aware 6.0 (considering Ad-Aware SE)

Spyware Prot. - Spybot-S&D v1.3

Ad Remover - AdMuncher(trial)

I also have About:Buster and HijackThis. I am also considering WinPatrol. Would you also recommend RegistryProt and TDS-3?
    How long is the trial period for TDS-3? I am also trying out different registry cleaners.

What else should I get (hopfully with no conflictions)?

Thanx so much for your time and advice. As always, it is truly appreciated :)

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

See my post #14 for a very tight system...

You can swap Ewido for TDS if you want, TDS I would consider to be the World Leader in Trojan detection...

Hope this helps...

Chhers :D

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

mismis29 if you will look back through this thread the information you want is in the different post's, the programs listed are efective on most machines. Most all of the apps listed have a trial period or are free. I would suggest that you trial a few that you don't now have and see how they work on your computer. I would recomend regprot, process guard, and tds3. Tds3 has a thirty day trial. regprot and process guard have a free version.

5. mismis29

OK. Thanx a bunch , guys! :D

6. Blackspear

Let us know how you go and what your choices are in the end...

Cheers :D

7. mismis29

Ok, here's what I'm considering:

ZoneAlarm v4.5 (already use)

Spyware Blaster (already use)

Spybot S&D (already use)

Ad-Aware 6.0(free) (already use)

TDS-3 (or ewido)

ProcessGuard

SpywareGuard

AdMuncher(free) - or some other pop-up/ad remover (Already use)

RegProtect

CCleaner - or other registry cleaner (Already use)

HijackThis (Already use)

About:Buster (Already use)

And of course, some kind of anti-virus.

I'm also considering some sort of startup manager like AutoStart Viewer, Startup Inspector, etc.

BTW, I have to admit that I'm like LJM Master - a freeware junkie ;) If I can get a really good freeware product , then I'm happy. Before I spend money on something that is not freeware, then I have to know if it is the best and that it is absolutely essential.

Are there any conflicts or programs here that ultimately do the same thing and are therefore not really needed? Is there something missing?

8. Blackspear

If you use something like Firefox, you will not require a popup buster, and it is safer for browsing...

You will see that I too am a fan of very good free software as well :D

Hope this helps...

9. mismis29

That's something to consider since I've read that Firefox can be more secure than Internet Explorer. I do have the Yahoo! toolbar that can block pop-ups, but I have disabled that feature because I'm using AdMuncher. The pop-up blocker in Yahoo! doesn't always block pop-ups, thats the reason that I like to use stand-alone pop-up blockers - they can be configured whereas Yahoo! cannot. Since I have been using ZoneAlarm as well AdMuncher my surfing is fairly quiet. Besides, changing browsers is a little scary for me, since I've been using IE for as long as I can remember :doubt:

All I know is that I believe I need some extra protection because I have this feeling that some nasties are getting in without me knowing it. Sometimes I think my surfing is a little TOO quiet! ;)

Anyway, thanx for your help. I'm always happy to get your input :)

10. mismis29

I was just wondering if any of these programs that I have listed (or anything else for that matter) will be affected by WindowsXP SP2?

In your opinion, should I get SP2 when it becomes available (I have XP Professional and appararently not available through Windows Updates until the end of August)? I've read a lot of posts about this new service pack and I'm not sure if I should get it or not. It seems that many people are having real problems, while others think it's just a waste of space.

According to my 'System' info., these are the specs for my computer:

Microsoft Xp Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1
    Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz
    240 MB RAM

Not that great of a system, I know :rolleyes:
    I like to use my computer for games as well, so I'm not 100% sure that SP2 would be good.

Sorry for getting off topic. I know this topic is for another forum, i just thought I'd ask since I'm here. Feel free to move it.

Thanx so much for all of your advice. You guys are great :D

11. LJM Master

Hi!! LJM here once again....I told u guys i'd be back :D

anyway...I've been readin' u guys after-post (posts u left wen I went), but now I have a question, in wot way, iz firefox more secure then IE?, that's wot i'm comfused about, i've heard numerous things from other people e.g. it blocks pop-up's (I'm already usin' a pop-up blocker for IE), an' haz virus/worm protection, as well as Spyware protection....iz this true?? if it iz, can u tell me any other things that put firefox in front of IE....

Thanks in advance for ure help :)
    LJM

12. LJM Master

can anybody give me advice on this (look at my last postin')
    I would really appreciate a reply from any1 on this...
    Just in case u didn't get/understand the question, i'll write it out again....'In wot way iz firefox more secure than IE?? that's wot i'm comfused about, i've heard numerous things from other people e.g. it blocks pop-up's (I'm already usin' a pop-up blocker for IE), an' haz virus/worm protection, as well as Spyware protection....iz this true??

Pleaze sum1, reply back to me this time!!!
    Thanks (Regards)
    LJM

13. Blackspear

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  14. LJM Master

Thank You Blackspear, i'll look at these links now...cheers

Regards,
    LJM

15. LJM Master

Hey Blackspear, i;m on the mozilla.org website now, an' it says, an' I quote 'firefox 0.9 is the award winnin' 'preview' of Mozilla's next generation browser, the word 'preview' confuses me, I'd rather wait 'till a full release or the actual/proper release comes out, before gettin' it....

do u kno wen that release will come out or not??

16. Blackspear

I've been using 0.93 now for quite a while, it's rather impressive :D

17. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

It has being a technology preivew for years. 1.0 will be out in September (planeed) though Oct-Nov is a more realistic date.

Still lots of people ,many newbies have happily used Firefox since 0.7-0.8 with no problems, so why not you?

18. Blackspear

I have SP2 installed on more than a dozen machines now, only problem encountered was ZA 5.1.011 locked up 2 systems, removed it and reinstalled a 4.5 version and no more problems.

If you have a Broadband connection then you can download a Pro IT version, or you can wait until it comes available through Windows Update. Microsoft are rolling SP2 slowly output across their servers to balance the load...

Hope this helps...

19. LJM Master

Hi, LJM here once again...thanks for ure help, i've been away, an' jus' checked for any replies....

Well, I think i'll get firefox then....cheers

Thanks (Regards)
    LJM

20. Blackspear

Let us know how you go LJM

21. LJM Master

ok Blackspear, will do wen I get it.... :D

LJM

22. MAL123

MAL123 Guest

IE is way safer then firefox in winxp sp2, it also comes with a spiffy popup blocker. Adaware se and spybot s&d should be plenty to take care of your spyware/adware problems... basically stop clicking on all those flashy ads...
    of course an antivirus is a must... nod32 is very good and i would also recommend kaspersky but if you want free then avg is a good way to go.
    For firewalls I use outpost, I definately prefer it over zone alarm, but again if you like free then za will do the job. I choose to run only my av and firewall on startup... I'm not a fan of using up a bunch of resources.... ie running 2 programs JUST to monitor you comp INCASE you get spyware...

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ditto what Blackspear is saying about FD-ISR. In my opinion a good, easy-to-use backup program is the most important security program. If despite all of your efforts and shoshing your pc full of protective software, you still end up getting infected, what is better than "going back in time" to a point before you were even infected? :D

Acadia

24. deefilly

deefilly Registered Member

I am considering using Foxfire but I do not like the fact that downloads are directed to the desktop. Is there a way around that? I am also concerned that some of my software that I use frequently will not function with Foxfire such as Print Key, iNTERNET Turbo and Flashget. I wish there was some way of knowing in advance which programs will work as before. Also does Winamp work with Foxfire? How difficult is it to replace IE with Foxfire?

I'd appreciate any info...:)

Deefilly

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox can be configured to downoad files to any folder you desire. You configure your options in the download manager area.

Extensions such as flashget, etc are easily installed on Firefox.

You can use Firefox as the default browser or use IE as the default browser.

Use any media player you wish.

http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.