worst case scenairo

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cpanon, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpanon

cpanon Registered Member

Hello
    I have a TrueImage server backup, however now my motherboard has totally failed. Is there any way to restore into new hardware? I didnt get a chance to purchase the Universal Restore. This is really a catastrophe if I cant restore into the new hardware. I am fully willing to purchase the ur. I know you are suppose to purchase that first, create bootaable, then restore. However I suspect the ability is not in the restore archive but in the version of True Image on the bootable media and something else to fix the copy protection on Windows. Is there a way to do this after the fact with a Acronis provided universal restore bootable cd that will restore an existing True Image archive?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The way I see it, using UR after the fact is perfectly okay. You can make an Image with a non-ur version of TI and restore with the UR version. The unstated part of the procedure (it may have been corrected by now) is that to Restore to new hardware, you must have available during the restore, the drivers for the new hardware. And the display driver is the most important one in order to produce a useable bootable display.

You can make the bootable TI cd with UR on another working computer.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You could try the restore to the system with the new motherboard. It probably won't boot, but even if it does, you want to do an upgrade in place reinstallation of Windows. That will update the HAL and let you add any special drivers. After the upgrade in place, you will have to reinstall all the Windows updates.

At least, that approach usually works with the non-server version of TI and Windows, and I'd expect it to work on your system as well.

Google the term upgrade in place to read the MS KB article explaining it.

If this fails, you can use the UR approach.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cpanon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that DwnNdrty is correct: Acronis Universal Restore is only used during the actual restore, so it doesn't matter if it was installed during the image creation. Please note that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on.
    You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.