worms

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by maddawgz, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi ppl..in the last week ive been hit with like 10worms?.. through hotmail..and my main POP email addy?.. it makes me paranoid that someone knows me is doing this? i dont recognise the addresses?.. some are from optusnet.com.au? other yahoo? others hotmail?.. anyhow i put my hotmail on exclusive now and as for my pop i openend another email addy??I did have junk mail filter on in my POP Mail..but i though its easier to change it..perhaps twice a yr? when i get spammed or something cuz i cant stand junk mail in my main addyo_O i just wont risk it? I do use Pc cilliani 2004. thankgod it caught them as hotmail missed it..there Mcafee..so my pccilian webmail scanner got it.. I know they do spread worms? but u gotta wonder if its ppl u know sometimes?But guess i could give my closest friends my pop and others my hotmail... ugggggggggggggg Maddawgz.. o_O

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, MadDawg.

Sounds like you might need to invest in better security software. I use a hotmail account, and get hundreds of junkmails daily. But no worm problem here! I suggest Wormguard from DCS. Give it a try. :)

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

thanks Dazed wow 100s a day? junk mail.how u stand it?.I got it set to exclusive someone said thats the best settings?... ill try your link thanks maddawgz :)

the things i use as far as security are
    1. pc cillian 2004 suite
    2.spyware blaster
    3.spybot S&D
    4.adaware
    5 Boclean
    6.Spyware doctor

i did have spyware gaurd but took it off thought it was like blaster?

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Not deliberately.....It's just someone who has your address also has an infection....It's probably mass mailing to everyone in their address book.

You won't......Virus/worm will change the return path.

Both my mum and I had a few crook emails around June this year. Interestingly we both got exactly the same emails with exactly the same bugs at exactly the same times!!! We put it down to someone who had both of us in their address book! This couldn't have been too many people. Blamed it on a cousin of mine who is very lax about PC security and always getting infected. He's now on my 'blocked sender' list. Bang...straight to the bin!!
    Cheers,
    Buck.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi maddawgz,

I use to get tons of these types of email, so don't be concerned. It is part of being on internet email nowadays. A while ago I switched to online email at Yahoo - actually I was forced to switch by SBC. In any case, they have really beefed up their email/spam protection. It is really minimal nowadays. Yahoo's services pretty much catches everything nowadays and to be safe I don't download any email. Plus I don't open anything that looks like it carrying a nasty. But as I said, Yahoo's filters are pretty much catching all nasties and spam. A year ago I would be getting dozens each day.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.