WormGuard & Norton - LiveUpdate

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Fotja, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fotja

Fotja Guest

After installing Worm Guard, I tried to run LiveUpdate from Norton AV console and I got an error message similar to this:

Norton AntiVirus was unable to run LiveUpdate.LiveUpdate may have been uninstalled.

P.S.
    l have SP1 ; LiveUpdete is still installed & can be run clicing on LUALL.EXE

TX

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Fotja, welcome!
    Can you find something which works for you in this thread here?
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4182

3. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Fotja,

if the solution they propose don't work for you, there's only one solution you can do. I myself had the same problems and I didn't manage to get it work again. So I deactivated the Wormguard Security Protection and reinstalled NAV. Now it's working properly again.

I'm waiting for Wormguard 4, this will solve these problems. ;)

Regards,

Patrice

4. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Fotja,

Perform a search on your computer for luall.exe. Delete all files with that name except the one that really triggers Live Update. If that doesn´t do it download and run Lusetup.exe from here: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html There is no need to reinstall NAV completely.

5. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Metallica,

sorry, but this doesn't help. I tried many things to solve that problem, but nothing was successful... :doubt:

Regards,

Patrice

6. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Patrice,

Sorry to hear that it didn´t work for you, but it has worked for others, so Fotja could give it a try.

7. controler

controler Guest

I had the same problem two weeks ago. Live update for Norton stopped working and got the error message that I needed to reinstall NAV. I ended up uninstalling Wormguard and reinstalling NAV also

8. Fotja

Fotja Guest

Controlor,same with me.But still same problem!!!AFTER UNISTALING WG & REINSTALING NAV.Uhhhh......haos....(sory for my english)

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Fotja,

Leave both programs installed, and try running LSETUP.EXE in the LiveUpdate folder.. mine is here

C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LSETUP.EXE

You should be able to run LUALL.EXE to run LiveUpdate manually.. :)

10. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Hey Fotja,

You "may" find that some other system things do not work in addition to your Norton LiveUpdate with WormGuard 3.0 installed.

1. Try your Help and Support function (START-HELP and SUPPORT). If it bombs out now, you can overcome this by creating a shortcut for Helpctr.exe and putting it either on your desktop or quicklaunch bar. If using Windows XP Home, Helpctr.exe is probably in C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries

2. You can also create a shortcut for LUALL.exe and put it on your desktop or quicklaunch bar to manually activate it for Norton Liveupdate. Your weekly automatic liveupdate should not be adversely affected by WormGuard (at least mine wasn't on Windows XP Home Edition). LUALL.exe is probably found in "C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUAll.exe. This shortcut will let you run LiveUpdate manually instead of through the NAV window.

Hopefully all of this is sorted out in the impending Version 4.0 of WormGuard so that these conflicts are eliminated.

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Siliconman01,
    welcome!
    Thanks for the handy instructions, hope they help many.
    The Help in XP is a known issue which is not bounded to WG but it happens with lots of programs unfortunately, causing lots of frustrations.

12. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Maybe some of us having that problem could get an early beta-version of WG-4 to see if that solves it. :D

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hey Metallica, Get in the queue please!! :D

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Complete windows / XP replacement could solve the problems.
    Wondering what Longhorn will bring to the people, except a version many seem not to be interested in with the news all other software will not work at all on it (no, the real news was win98 applications and o_O would not work on it any more)

15. Metallica

Metallica Guest

LOL. I installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday in order to get prepared for the future. I guess that WormGuard does not work under Linux either, as do most other Windows applications. But at least there are altenatives. I plan on using it more and more, reading the announcements and comments on Longhorn. :(

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ahg! Longhorn :'( DRM taken to extremes + Intel /MS axis Hardware and software locked to only allow what they deem fit on YOUR computer, not form me. I shall stick with XP/W2k & Linux. I am thinking of getting SuSe 8.2 as compatibility with my set up looks better than Mandrake 9.1 - Mandrake 8 is awful on this PC

17. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Don't want to get too far off topic, but downloading 9.1 took me three hours and installing it took 30 minutes. All my hardware was recognized, so I am pretty pleased sofar. I was told SuSe is more difficult and I don't know that much about Linux (yet).

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Your right, I wonder if Linux becomes more used whether DCS would consider creating Linux versions of WG etc?

Certainly the threats are just as real in Linux in fact as it is open source possibly, dare I say, more so than Windows, especially as the user base grows.

Pilli - I have my umbrella up!

19. Metallica

Metallica Guest

That would be :cool:
    I would feel less "naked"

20. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hmm, TDS/WG/PE as open source software o_O
    Dolf

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Dollefile, Wow that's a big "Gotcha" :eek:

22. Metallica

Metallica Guest

What am I missing here? o_O

23. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Metallica, I think that what Dollefile is pointing out is that Linux is open source & that would mean that Linux versions of TDS & WG would have to be open source thus possibly nullifying a security advantage, they could still charge but at what a price?
    I am sure Dollefile will correct me if I am wrong or what other thoughts were behind the post.

Cheers Pilli

24. Metallica

Metallica Guest

It seems that there are already ways in use to get around this:
    http://librenix.com/?inode=2973 or am I missing the ball again?

25. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well OK but pretty contentious? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.