WormGuard isn't letting me move/delete folders?!

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by [suave], Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

Sup guys,

I love this forum. I never really had any problems in the past so that's why I never posted anything, but I am a long time reader here at WSF :)

I just recently installed the trial for wormguard as I am considering purchasing it with the package deal thing.

It seems that now I am having alot of problems when trying to delete/move folders. Windows keeps giving me the error saying the folder is in use by another program and that I need to close that program and try again.

I never had this problem before installing wormguard, and I didn't install anything new other than wormguard. Most importantly, when I disable wormguard the problem goes away and it comes back when I enable wormguard.

I don't know if I should buy this program. Is it really needed? Can't TDS detect all the things that wormguard does? What's the point?

If I can get this problem fixed I just might buy it just cause of the package deal, but I still don't see a reason to be using it.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Suave,
    If you disable WormGuard, can you move your folders and files again?
    I have WormGuard since many years on my system and never had the problem you describe.
    I could imagine program files of runing programs would not be allowed to be moved.
    Did you close all scanners when installing any of the programs, and did you reboot after the installs?

Read what WormGuard does, it is very different from TDS in detection possibilities, you can add extensions yourself, kind of files, etc.
    It looks for malicious scripts and code in files, blocks macros in documents, double extensions, etc. prevents them from opening or running and giving you an option to check them in safe mode so you know why it is blocked.

3. [suave]

hmmm... read my whole post and you will find the answer to that question.

It has to be wormguard that's causing it.

I'm not moving any system files or anything like that If that's what you're asking. It happens with basic files like txt files for example... really frustrating. :'( o_O

And do your really beleive I will benefit from this program? I mean, so far it never caught anything. I got 1 warning but it was a false alarm. I was trying to read some MS Word document that I downloaded from some security website and wormguard popped up and said it is a worm, just because it had the line "make sure you patch your windows with the latest updates in order to block security holes that viruses may take advantage of." So I don't know what that was all about. I loaded up the document and it was perfectly harmless. Also, I was able to run a double extention file and WormGuard didn't pop up. It was a file called AbiWord_Setup.2.5.7.exe or something like that.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can put any file/folder on an exclusion list and it will not be caught.

I don't know what happens on your system.
    I ever installed it on several systems, with all scanners and resident protection temporary down, rebooted after installation and enabled all other scanenrs etc back on, installed the WormGuard protection and al goes well on my system, caught what is expected, double extensions, scripts, files with macros and especially if there are special words in them, like excel documents with macros in combination with words like infection, virus, trojan, so like said, you have the possibility to check the file in safe mode to decide better if it can be trusted or not.
    I can tell you it did save my systems rather often.

5. elumineX

elumineX Registered Member

Actually I'm experiencing the same... Whenever I right-click a file and choose "Scan with Wormguard", wormguard locks the whole directory where the file is located. I can't delete or move anything from that particular folder. I have to reboot in safe mode, close explorer, and then manually delete the file I want to be deleted through command prompt. This ONLY happends when I use the right-click-scan feature! It's a bug in wormguard.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Windows XP home or pro with SP2? Other system?
    On a win98 system the rightclick scan with WormGuard is a problem ("not enought memory" message), but i think it never is a good idea to move files while they or the whole folder with them is scanned at the same time.
    Doesn't your file/folder get free and movable when scanning is done?

7. elumineX

Win Xp Pro SP2. No Wormguard locks ALL files in the current directory of the scanned file. I can't access them, when I double-click nothing happends. I can't move them, Windows tells me they're in use, and I can't delete them (same thing as move). I once scanned a .exe file which was located on my desktop, and Wormguard locked the whole thing. Couldn't access anything on my desktop at all, exept My Computer, My Documents etc.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Does the file / directory still stay locked completely after the scanning stopped completely?
    The scanner won't show a message about file clean, only warn when infected.
    Can't you kill a process forcefully and see if that helps?

9. [suave]

I use Windows XP Pro SP1.

I open a folder, close the folder, delete the files in the folder just fine.

But if I open a folder and then open a file in that folder, then close the file, then try to delete/move the file/folder.... I cant because it is still in use.

I have to close explorer and reload in order to fix it.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And in which stage you use WormGuard in your description Suave?
    I do the same in windows explorer like you describe and no freezing or still in use here.

11. elumineX

It is hard to describe what it does exactly, but I'll try.
    Let's say there's a file, and a folder with a file on my desktop. When I right click and choose "Wormguard", nothing happens. I tried creating a .txt file in the folder on my desktop with a string "infected" in it, because I know that Wormguard will detect that one as suspicious. Anyway nothing happened when i scanned that file! No box , no message nothing. Now, I wan't to scan the other file on my desktop, and the same goes; No box, no message nothing. At this point I can't run any files, shortcuts and I even can't open the .txt file. When I try to execute the files nothing happens.
    Here's the weird thing.. Now I'm able to delete any of the files in the normal way. Couldn't do that before. It seems that Wormguard can't decide what to forbid me, and what not to:)

I tried uninstalling Wormguard's core components which makes everything back to normal. Now I'm able to execute every file on my desktop and in the folder on it, but if I install the core components again Wormguard goes back to blocking execution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.