WormGuard in different profiles?

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by spy1, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

In XP Pro, do I have to do anything special to get the program to work in everyone's profile (on the same computer)?

I ask because tonight while I was at work, the new NOD32 Beta2, caught an example of JS/NoClose.C while he was surfing (that's fine, not a problem), but I had assumed he'd be protected in his profile by WormGuard (since I installed it as Admin).

What am I missing here? Did NOD just catch it first?

Or, does WormGuard not go off on NoClose?

Can't find WormGuard in his Start/Programs listing, so maybe it's not there at all? What do I have to do to get it there? Pete

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not sure about this one as I do not run multiple profiles on this PC.
    Wormguard 3 only works properly under XP SP1 & I am not sure of it's user switching capabilities but know that this will be addressed in WG4 (can't wait to start beta testing it :D )
    Meanwhile You may have to install it for each user, I am sure DCS will clarify this there is a page on the DCS site about WG3 & Xp compatability:
    http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/xphelp.htm

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Pilli with installing it for each user, i was not all sure, but it might be, as it is the case with too.
    So waiting for the DCS confirmation.

One little remark: XP SP1 is adviced but not really needed in all cases, there are users running WG well without the SP1.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Jooske, To be honest, I could never get WG3 to work properly under XP until SP1 was installed.
    I might set up another user account & try it but think I'll wait for Gavin or Waynes response. ;)

I forgot to answer Spy 1,s other question about WG3 running - So if you click the WG3 programme from the all programmes.Once you have the WG£ window open, ensure that you click install then press test WG will tell you that it is active.
    Now create a .doc or .txt file and add another extention such as wgtest.doc.exe or wg3test.txt.vbs and double click it WG3 will put up a warning.

Attached Files:

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Right Pilli, that's why no guarantee is given for XP without SP1 :D Depends really on the users system.

Right for the test as well, think it's a good test to have on the desktop of another normal user can test that too if WG jumps up there too. If not, install WG there too, like TDS.

Waiting tech explanation of the DCS team :)

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Pilli and Jooske - Thank you. Pete

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hey, DCS Team! Weekend's over.

Do I have to install the program to each profile individually? (How?)

Will the program (and its' key) let me do that?

Would WG even have alerted on JS/NoClose? Pete

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Feeling a little neglected here - would someone from DCS please answer my questions in the above post? Pete

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Spy1, It may be quicker to email DCS technical direct as they are VERY busy at the moment, usually the response is timely.

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Wormguard 4 will work across all user accounts. I will try and get a better answer to your Wormguard 3 question though Spy1. Sorry for the delay its been real busy over here as Alan stated. :)
    -Jason-

11. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi Pete, sorry for the delay but as has already been said we've been ridiculously busy this week - just a few highlights include receiving the longest support emails we've ever received, Gavin's main workstation is freezing and required a new OS install, Jason's just finished a new beta release of Port Explorer, and I've just about finished a new freeware program which you'll see shortly - I'm confident you'll both like it and have a regular use for it. Ah what a week ... :) -- I haven't even been able to watch any of the Cricket World Cup after hours, which is disappointing because Australia are favourites to win!

Anyway back to the matter at hand - Wormguard3, like RegProt, has some issues with multiple profiles, most of which are caused by the execution interception hook. We've already fixed these issues for Wormguard4 but there's little we can do for Wormguard3 due to the nature of the hook, and the fact that the hook uses Microsoft components that are beyond our control. To counter this we've created our own kernel-level drivers for Wormguard4 and they're working superbly, exceeding our own expectations. All Wormguard3 customers are entitled to a free upgrade to Wormguard4 - it's a ridiculous offer that no other companies ever seem to make, but we like rewarding our customers, it's that simple. :)

Best regards,
    Wayne

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thank you all.

Sorry to hear about the problems (but glad you're making such good progress!). Pete

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys, long time.

Just got a new system, with XP

In regards to WG and XP, I have XP PRO WITHOUT SP1 [can't load SP1, long story, but not needed + ALL other patches + ones relating to SP1 installed though, just not SP1 itself] and WG is working fine for me so far.

Just a thought as to that, maybe there is a difference in the XP OS's with WG. I mean everyone is just saying XP, maybe XP Home Edition and PRO are two different birds of a feather in relation to WG.

I have two friends, both XP PRO, both sans SP1 [all other patches exactly same as me], both running WG [on my recommendation they both got TDS3 and WG, smart boys]. All OK with them as well.

Cheers, TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.