World's First 1.5-Terabyte Desktop PC And Half-Terabyte Notebook PC Hard Drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by HURST, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=19549a9dafc0b110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I would call it an inherent flaw,with these mega/super storages,chances you will suffer mega losses in case of a crash,think about it. ;)

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    That's why you buy 3 of those ... and keep copy on each.

In my case, really, really, really important data is backed on 6 different hard disks, 4 different USBs, and at least 2 up to date copies on DVDs, with many full copies from previous months retained.

So, I wouldn't mind those ... I only got 1.76TB storage in any case ...

Mrk

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what you acually store your data on 6 different hard drives?
    wow.
    there is backup and crazyness. you could buy more and more and more and moore if your not careful. never ending.

when i brought my pc it was cheaper to buy one 500gb drive but i paid more and got two 250gb so that if one failed i wouldnt lose my data and images.
    at this rate soon enough i will buy a cheap 1TB drive. wont fill it for ages.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    This includes 3,000 pages of book stuff - priceless to me. Years and years of writing... so 60 hard disk is ok...
    Mrk

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I wonder how long will it take to format and install XP on this 1.5 terabyte drive?

On my 200 gig drive it takes 55 minutes (gold version) to fully format and install XP. At this rate it will take 6.8 hours to fully format and install XP!! I quess speed will be faster and thus lower install time.

It will affect many utilities and they will have to be updated to handle this new size.

It seems that carving out a small partition for the OS (30 gigs) and then a larger one for data (100gigs) will still leave a whole mess of disk space left, but it will not take very long relative to the entire disk which one can add partitions as needed later, or if multi-booting do new installs (or re- imaging) at one's leisure.

Imaging this monster (if nearly full) will take over night at least.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thats why i have a system drive (C:),not partitioned ( a small one 70 gig Raptor) with only OS and app.on it, averages 12 gig. Anything other then that is on second int. drives and ext. drives,which is mainly my pers. data like graph.images,archives ,office and music. These personals are backed up seperately to yet another ext. drives,so i have two instances of every pers. file.I guess it should be enough.it works for me.

If i image once in a while my (C:) its always around 12 gig.A backup/restore takes 7 min.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not necessarily. All my business activities are totally paperless. So all my critical data is backed up to an internal 2nd drive and two external drive. This is duplicated on another desktop and laptop. The data backup is also kept in another location.

Additionally it is backed up by FDISR archives on all 3 machines.

Pete

PS. I have a 1 terabyte Hitachi drive now, and boy is it sweet.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi peter,
    have you installed windows on your 1TB drive?
    of course the 1TB drive will be the fastest drive.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No. It's the secondary drive. Windows is on the smaller drives in Raid 0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.