Wondering what internet security software is best for multipul pc's?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bowhunter, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowhunter

Bowhunter Registered Member

Hello I was wondering in there a sofware out there that you can buy that you can install on 3 desk tops and 2 laptop? Whith out buying 5 diferent kinds? I would like to make it easy and have just 1 kind on all of them. This is what I have.
    Linksys WRT350-N wireless router set to firewall and incryption security

Dell XPS 700 gamer with Trend Micro PC Cillin internet security 14 (expires 08/08 ) on windows XP profesional media-center edition just gaming not much else on this on not even e-mail account and no music or picture want it to stay fast.

Dell XPS laptop with Trend Micro internet security 2007 (6 months left) windows Vista (my wifes for daycare programs online menues)

2 ea HP desktop's with (expired Norton av) free spybot and AVG on them nothing else. Windows Vista Kids 12yr and 14yr) with windows live parental controls on for their ages recomended.

Acer laptop Trend Micro antivirus 2007(expired 3/08 ) useing free AVG and spybot. Windows Vista. (we do our online banking on this pc i use this one for my e-mails)

Is there anything else you need to know I just want to be safe on line and not have to keep buying subsciptions every 6 months to a year. They all have windows defender on them too.

any feed back will be greatly apprecated.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

1) If you want to pay for software then F-PROT (AV) has a 5-user license. Norton IS 2008 also has a 5-user license available.

2) Try one of the big 3 free AV's - Avira, Avast!, AVG

3. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

4. Bowhunter

Bowhunter Registered Member

thank you I will look into these and see what is best protection of them. :D

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Try to keep most everything on your PC's up to date. Windows, Java, Flash player, E-mail clients, browsers etc. are constantly updated due to vulnerabilities found in them. See the link in my signature to do a check online with each machine and then update any program that the scanner detects as vulnerable. Sometimes it's a pain to keep up with them and some programs like Java you have to manually uninstall the old versions. Flash Player also has a removal tool that is recommended to run before installing the new version. Your reward for all this work is a system that when running online and you happen to stumble into malware, it shouldn't be able to do it's nasty deed because the holes it uses to do its work is patched/fixed. This doesn't protect you 100%, but it gets you a big step closer.

I would just run one of the free AV's that EliteKiller mentioned until you could buy a "family pack" of whatever security software you like. Many of us have or are running free AV's and they are fine. Avira has the highest detection rate out of the three while Avast is the most complete and adds spyware protection.

If you want an on-demand anti-malware/spyware program, both SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) are good. By "on-demand" I mean they don't provide real-time protection but they can scan your system or files for spyware/malware. They also offer realtime (active) paid protection versions.
    www.superantispyware.com
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Oh, I almost forgot. Hi and welcome to Wilders :).

Edit: Also, please have a look at this great thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=206805

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

If you want protection for personal/home use, I would suggest to look at AVG, Avast, Antivir, Comodo and PC tools. All of the above offer free security tools for home users (comodo offer free tools for professional use too).

If you want to buy a product sunbelt has an interesting offer:
    Annual site license subscription protects all PCs in single household (protection for unlimited PCs)

They have a very nice beta antivirus/antispyware that will be released in a few months. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=202584

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.