Wolvix new web site launched

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Wolvix.org is back !!
    New clean layout; still under expansion: looks great.

This is a remarkable linux distro: useable well tailored utilities and great pkg management with Slack and XFCE and more !!.
    5 star recommendation from me.
    I've been trying many of the 'high' profile distros; I keep coming back to Wolvix prior to a 'relaunch' : this one just does the job for me better than most of the 'name' distros.

Check it out.
    Effectively the work of a very small number of peeps: for an amazing interview with the creators, and an insight into how the OS community benefits us all:
    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=381

From the resident LPIC pro:
    A true Slackware delight!
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_wolvix.html

From others:
    I can honestly say that Wolvix Cub 1.1.0 is one of the best Slackware-based distro that I've used so far.
    http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/wolvix-my-kind-of-wolf.html

After using Wolvix 1.1.0 almost since the day it was released I simply don’t have bugs or broken bits to report. Wolvix works amazingly well right out of the box.
    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/wolvix_110_a_very_flexible_ani.html

Comparing the Wolvix Hunter experience with that of others, everything went off without a hitch.
    http://on-disk.com/cms/index.php?wiki=Wolvix110

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Looks good. I'm always hearing good things about Wolvix and would love to try it. Might have to give the livecd a try when i've got time. It would have to be quite wonderous to replace Arch on my machine though.

3. Longboard

Yes
    Can certainly Recommend A try with Wolvix: very nice: MrK has a good run through:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_wolvix.html
    and Slack
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_slackware.html

Apart from Mepis and PCLOS the further one goes into Linux it seems -for me anyway- to be condensing to Slack :Wolvix, Absolute, Zen, Vector, Easys, Slack itself
    OR
    Arch

For this pondscum level user: need to take deep breaths and and a tight grip on the cojones for raw Slack and Arch: have given up on both b4: will be trying again soon.

Damn BSD still in there too...lol.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I know what you're saying. But don't be too put off. I think the hardest part of Arch is getting it installed. Once it's installed with your favourite DE it's the same as any other distro. You've just got to install all the apps that you need yourself, which is simple with pacman. Plus, the config files are fairly easy to configure.
    Then you can lord it like the rest of us Archers. :p :thumb:

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sheesh, Longboard, I settle into PCLinux and now you dangle this in front of our faces. Now I need to distro hop again :p :D

BTW, how does it compare to PCLOS as far as user-experience goes?

6. Longboard

Heh heh heh :D

PCLOS is still = #1 for me.
    The slack based distros with the XFCE destop are great.
    Very hard to choose.
    Because I'm using VMWare workstation while experimenting and learning CLI, I;ve been hopping too.
    Using Linux as a guest often pisses off the purists especially the core Slackers and Archers ;)
    Really any of the above are close to faultless for oob imho.

I have had the best time with pclos because I could get VMWare tools installed easily, and so have extra options guest<-> host.
    Some of the above make it very tricky to do same.
    No beryl/compiz in VMWare yet; but dont really care.

I have specific utilities in mind with each OS and consider pkg management "useability' as a core feature. PCLOS control panel, Synaptic and the PCLOS PASS option just makes it so smooth.
    Wolvix has a great control panel too.

This site http://bagside.com/bagvapp/ has really well made up to date VMs with VMWare Tools installed: see the list !!
    Free, many of them at the VM Community pages. Some 'branding' but nothing too intrusive. They play in VMPlayer or Server also FREE.
    Just miss out on the install routines and educational screw-ups LOL. :)
    The guy is a guru, I;ve swapped a few e-mails with him, he readily tells of spending weeks and weeks and hours and hours googling re how tos: just wont publish them :'(

My ISP here (Telstra) is absurdly expensive wrt downloads but offers free Linux distros to users here: http://files.bigpond.com/
    So that is where I start: they will mirror most OS,s and such.
    Cant get an arrangement with bagvapp unhappily :'(

I still need MS but am moving too Linux as Host and XP as guest.

You want a looky see with minimal effort: go to bagvapp, get some vms, get VMPlayer and roll on.
    :thumb:

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks Longboard! I'll have to spend some quality time on all this before I can make up my mind and settle on one solution...if the latter ever happens ;)

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Thanks for Posting Longboard, agree the new layout is nice. I also concur on you enthusiastic appraisal of Wolvix. Definitely worthy of five stars!

I have been Slackware user from very close to day one. As one would expect, I am a fan of Slackware flavored distributions. I tried Wolvix (1.1.0) and loved it. It has a very easy and simple install routine. I was amazed at how easy the system is to maintain and use. I was very impressed with Wolvix and have recommended it to a couple of friends (and my mother) as a beginning system for entry in to the wonderful world of Linux.

My only gripe was, albeit a minor one, JFS was not one of the offered file systems during the install.

I have Wolvix installed on a 512 USB drive; damn nice. I had it installed on a my testing desktop machine for a while; testing Fedora 9 now. I do appreciate a great distribution but, it will not be replacing my Slackware box any time soon. :)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Longboard, downloading now for a look. I like Xfce a lot, used Zenwalk for several months last year..... Pretty nice stuff..... Looking forward to this one now.....:)

10. Longboard

So: If you want:
    http://forums.wolvix.org/index.php/topic,803.0.html
    Heh: prolly not something I'll be trying too soon.
    OOI, will the jfs system still be developed after Reiser's court case ??

For a straight out working desktop that almost every user/reviewer gives positive responses to; It's an interesting 'thing' to me that such a polished Distro lurks so far down the list at Distrowatch: ?seriously niche market, ?perception of "smaller is worser" ( lol, compared to some of the snafus from the well known distros lately :cautious: )and scary oogy boogy Slackware ??

Just advertising?, not 'glossy' enough? Slackware factor?

Any comments?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  11. chrisretusn

Jeepers, not that difficult. I will re-install Wolvix and try to remember what I did. ;)

Huh?? Why wouldn't it? Hans Reiser has nothing to do with jfs.

A little of all the above, I think. The ubuntu (name your flavor) mania may play a factor. Certainly the Slackbware factor, it's to hard, not for beginners.... could be in play. Just noticed Slackware is at 13, yikes Wolvix is at 77. One thing for sure, I have convinced three friends to forsake that other OS in to using Wolvix for a while. So far they are happy.

Be interesting to see how Wolvix shapes up in the coming months. I never really could make my self like any sort of ubuntu. I tried real hard. When I discovered Wolvix, I was estatic that I found a distro worthy as startup intro to Linux.

Well time for bed, mama is getting pissed. Going to install Wolvix again in the morning.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Finally installed last night and not too bad so far, though a few things:
    • The installer wouldn't let me manually create three separate partitions: root, home and swap. The logical and extended options were always grayed out, leaving me with only primary, and since I already have two XP partitions, I could only create two (allows a maximum four primary), so I ended up just creating a single ext3 partiton and installed on that.

• One of my two optical drives is inaccessible. Message stating It's read only...etc, etc. This is too bad because it performs better than my other one.

It's early but so far I'd have to say i give the edge to PCLinuxOS. Still, wolvix certainly has potential.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Took a brief look, but in all honesty, I have to say I was not too impressed. Zenwalk actually looked a bit nicer, but I have seen a few bugs/issues in that lately, so I don't use it.

Running Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4/Remix here now, all configured, running very well, no issues except a minor KDE4 bug that prevents my screen res from being saved properly, but I have a workaround, so I can live with it.

I am partial to KDE4 nowadays, wish more distros would start using it, as it's pretty slick.

14. chrisretusn

I've tried Zenwalk, wasn't to impressed. It was several versions back, but just didn't ring any bells; Wolvix did.

I have not tried PCLinuxOS yet, maybe I will.

KDE, I do not like; just not my cup of tea. Of course this is an opinion of someone who likes CDE. :D

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What is it that you guys like about Wolvix? Maybe I missed something and didn't give it enough of a look.....

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't remember why, but Zenwalk did not impress me either. My test drive with it was short lived.

This wolvix hunter still doesn't quite measure up to PCLinux imo, but I can't seem to let go of it too easily either :) I love the default applications package it comes with, Flash and Java included in the install, and - very important - how stable it runs on my old machine (mid 2002). No problems at all getting sound straight away out of my SB Audigy. As with PCLinux, I can't get drivers for my samsung printer via CUPS :( The desktop and splash themes are pretty dull, but that is not too important. Something in the installer needs to be fixed to make it easier/possible to manually create partitions before installing.

Overall, despite some of the issues I've seen, this is a worthy contender for one of the better distros.

Just saw this after I posted :) I'd say I like it "okay", but I'm not blown away by it. Maybe the dull color scheme has something to do with it. I find it rather "blah" but some people, according to little bits I've seen in other linux forums, seem to find it more relaxing on their eyes. I'll probably go back to PCLinux, except I'm a little concerned about the direction it's going in. There's been no recent news that I can find on when a new release is due.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to agree with you, the desktop color scheme sort of put me to sleep and wasn't impressing me at all. I did however kinda like the default selection of apps that came with it, in that sense it was indeed superior to Zenwalk.

PCLinuxOS was and has been one of my favorites since back in 0.93a I guess it was, and the current one is a classic that's hard to beat. And yes, I have been wondering what has happened to it also, I was expecting a new 2008 release months ago. I wonder if it has stalled now... not sure...

Trying Kubuntu right now with KDE4, it's pretty nice. KDE4 has a look and feel that I kinda like a lot.

Otherwise, I suppose my favorites would have to be SUSE 11 and Ubuntu latest.. But there are always so many choices and new ones to look at too. :)

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There was mention in the PCLos forum from Tex himself that a release was hopeful last month. Obviously it didn't happen :(

I love the KDE4 environment :)

19. chrisretusn

Something about it just brings out the wolf in me. :D

What I don't understand is all of this "who-ha-ha" over Ubuntu. I see nothing all that great. Well off to install Wolvix again....

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ubuntu is just well done, works out of the box with little extra effort, has very few bugs or issues that I've ever seen, and generally speaking gets the job done without hassles. I get the same result out of SUSE also. Kubuntu is nice if you like KDE over Gnome. I guess from my experience, the majority of distros out there seem to always have one sort of issue or another that prevents it from being what I would call well done and issue free. Ubuntu is just one of those that are well done and with less issues than most. Hence it's popularity.

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I agree. Something of at least moderate importance seems to be broken in even my favorite distros.

22. Longboard

hello
    been away in the mountains in Aotearoa: heliskiing in the land of the long white shroud: :D
    Nice discussion guys.
    Always really good to get others' perspectives.
    ?? is that some HW specific issue/current config issue??
    I have only installed into VMWare so 'blank' virtual partition.
    The Control Panel installer gives options for Root, Home, Swap as defaults or GParted for partitioning.
    The USB install has been great.

The installer was if I read correctly, sort of an after thought; Wolvix was initially concieved as a "Live" system a la Slax.
    I think oithona and wolven have been somewhat surprised by how well it has gone.

Tbh, the graphics are a secondary issue for me: maybe not technicolour pyrotechnic animation styles, but not offensive, nice clean basic icon set.
    Heh: makes a change from blue/green.
    :thumb:
    :cool:

I appreciate the "depth and width" may be a little light on by comparison with other distros eg Ubuntu, and I am piggy backing on someone else's vision of what works best as a 'package' but just easy.
    There has been no need for me to install any other packages for a fully functional productive desktop pro temp.

V. similar to my experience with PCLOS - which for me has been a genuine star - : small team, tight control, moulded set-up, but just cool to go from the start, plenty of extras to go on with, slow but steady dev.

Atm: a keeper for me.

Reading between the lines it feels like there may be a new Wolvix and a new PCLOS soon..ish
    It seems like PCLOS users are approaching MiniMe as a base for "PCLOS 2008" and adding as they choose..??

Going to Give NimbleX a run soon: has a new installer to test..

Full Slack and Arch still waiting for a free day ...or 3. :)

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, after over a year of distro hopping and trials, that is why in the end I keep returning to Win. I just last weekend finally purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium x64 and I have to say, I am massively impressed and happy with it so far. The entire experience has been nothing but a pleasure and ease, nothing else compares.. But we'll see how it goes... :)

24. Longboard

Another gem from MrK:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=215710
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/sharing_folders_win_lin.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.