WMIADAP.EXE is "ignoring" its own PG settings

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nameless, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I'm running PG 1.200 on WinXP. The screen shot says it best: I have "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe" in PG's list (actually, I think it was there by default), and it has every possible "Allow" privilege.

Still, however, I see log entries that tell me that WMIADAP.EXE "tried to gain WRITE, TERMINATE, SET INFO, SUSPEND" access on" every entry in the PG list. This happens pretty frequently. It's as if the "Allow" settings for WMIADAP.EXE are being ignored.

Screen shot (JPG, 127 KB)

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

seems to be a bug somewhere, indeed, if you look at your SS carefully, you will notice that

c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe

is protected and allowed, while

\\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe

is blocked. The path is different, and "\\?\" doesn't mean anything to my eyes.

I'm sure you will have news from DCS tomorrow.

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The screenshot is not available, at least when I just tried to click on it, so I cannot see it. :)

-Jason-

4. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Does this one work:
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/bootitng/images/00004658.JPG

5. nameless

Sorry, the image is pretty large, so I didn't want to imbed it. I also forgot that I have the ASCII log enabled, and that I could get the output from there as well. So here is an excerpt from it:

\\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\smss.exe [384]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe [460]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe [484]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\services.exe [528]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe [540]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe [704]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe [784]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe [828]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\explorer.exe [976]
    \\?\c:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiadap.exe [PID] tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe [980]

There are a ton of these entries; this is only a portion of them. There is one entry for every instance of every program I have in PG's list at the time WMIADAP.EXE runs (for example, APACHE.EXE is in PG's list, and when WMIADAP.EXE runs, it creates a log entry like the above twice for APACHE.EXE--because Apache uses two instances when it runs).

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Well, let's put it on this server ;)

Attached Files:

• shot.gif
      shot.gif
      File size:
      94.9 KB
      Views:
  7. nameless

Thanks. I'm such a moron when it comes to handling images. :doubt: If I'd just used a PNG like I usually do, there would have been no problem.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

No problem ;)

regards.

paul

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thanks, this has been fixed for PG1.250 :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.