Without a NGFW..

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Mayahana, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Russ64

Russ64 Registered Member

No, I only have Unmanaged switches.

I have to allow the ISP router to give DHCP to some internal devices that I cannot set static IP (but I have limited the pool).

I only have 2 NIC's as one of the on board NICs is Atheros AR8161 that is not supported. I have connected my WAP to my internal switch.

I have setup double NAT (as I cannot change ISP router to Bridge) and it is working okay so far. Only weird thing I have found is that on my PC behind the UTM, I have to disable the Windows Firewall or else I cannot access web.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Double NAT can cause anomalies, but often can work on a home network. The real issues crop up when you try to WAN face something, such as a DVR, Security System/Cameras, Servers, Media Devices, etc. Double NAT will ruin your day. In your case it's probably not a bit deal, but your endpoint firewalls may complain (as you've discovered). As a general rule, try to avoid more than one NAT.

Also you can sometimes force Sophos UTM to recognize a non-supported NIC by manually assigning it, which is what I ended up doing.

3. Russ64

Russ64 Registered Member

Thanks - I will give that a go as I would like to have 3 NIC's to put my AP on the 3rd one. Does the wireless protection work for non-Sophos AP's?

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.