With Chrome Ascendant, Mozilla Is a Dead Man Walking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Who cares?! A browser is a browser is a browser.

I used a older version of firefox for years before upgrading to their new version. Did I gain anything? Nope,just a newer browser.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

No, you said Firefox will be at 10% in a year if you follow the statistics. You claimed Opera's was a meagre 2-4% level. Opera probably dream of 10% LOL!

Oh, so now you're predicting that the trend will level out? Is this before or after Firefox reaches the same level as Opera? Which you also stated.

Yes, but does it still depend on if Firefox reaches only 10% market share or Opera's 2 - 4% level?

Now I know you are insane. ;)

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read all night.

And your point is ... ?

3. Daveski17

Don't be ridiculous, this is matter of life & death. ;)

Ermm ... & up to date browser security?

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Oh oh thats right,I'd be in trouble without that added security :D

5. Daveski17

Yeah, it's a (cyber) jungle out there. :D

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I mistyped in my last response. I meant that Firefox will be 10% in a year if it continues this trend.

I'm not sure how you're confused.

1) If the current trend continues Firefox will fall to 10% in a year.

2) Trends are variable to a lot of things and it's more likely that it'll end up leveling out rather than sinking out of existence.

Understand?

Questioning a single set of statistics isn't wrong. Questioning multiple different websites statistics when they all show the same trends is pretty ridiculous.

See above. Independent studies are agreeing.

7. Daveski17

Not really true, you originally claimed that Firefox would be at Opera's level in a year.

"At this rate it'll be at Opera's status in a year"

Apparently, I'm not the one that's confused mate.

I understand you've changed your original tune of Fx will be at Opera's level within a year & decided to hedge your bets & now claim that it will either be at Opera's level, 10% or level out.

It can't be all three can it? Which do you think is the most likely?

From what I can remember, the same pundits were predicting the same downfall of Firefox based on incredibly similar statistics this time last year.

They have been for a long time. Just like last year.

8. Hungry Man

I've already said my prediction, Firefox will continue to lose members and level out probably in a few months (hopefully.)

I'm not going to repeat what I've already said lol there's what the trends are showing (Firefox @ 10% in a year) and there's the limit to what we can extrapolate from those trends.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Lose members? LMAO Why are they gonna lose members? Because of what Independent studies are saying? Good grief.

10. Daveski17

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said:

Is that before or after it levels out?

Haven't I been saying all along that the statistics are not reliable enough to predict Firefox being at Opera's level (or 10%, take your pick) within a year?

11. Hungry Man

lol uhhh no. The independent studies are what's showing that Firefox is losing members...

12. Hungry Man

It might already have happened. IF the new contract doesn't happen it's becuase Google no longer thinks it makes sense financially.

Maybe MS will swoop in, maybe they'll think the same way Google does.

Both companies have browsers of their own with usage stats over Firefox's, they don't really need it anymore.
    And your proof is where? Because I have multiple independent websites showing statistics that give very similar trends. w3schools is one example - though it shows different usage shares the trends are the same.

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

You base alot of your knowledge off of what you read on a websites,that's dangerous and alotta info out there is not accurate.

14. Daveski17

Exactly, that's what I've been alluding to. The figures are just not dramatic enough to spell the end of Firefox within a year. I remember very similar extrapolations at least a year ago or so. How many million downloads of Fx 4 - Fx 8.0.1 get? It's hardly dwindling at a fantastically diminishing rate is it?

15. Hungry Man

Better than basing it on nothing.

It's definitely dwindling at a consistent rate and multiple studies will back that up.

16. Boost

Boost Registered Member

And studies also have a history of deception.

17. Hungry Man

lol and that's where I think the conversation should come to an end. If you don't believe( even to the slightest extent) multiple studies agreeing with each other there's just not a lot left to talk about.

18. Daveski17

So you keep saying, ad infinitum. I still bet this time next year Firefox will be at the same level it's at now, more or less, & people will still be predicting its demise in about a year.

Proof? Your 'proof' seems like a load of jackanory to me. I heard it all before last year. Trends? I heard those last year as well.

Where's your proof? Or do you mean 'speculation'. You have no proof, I don't need to prove anything. I'm predicting that Firefox will be at the same level of usage this time next year, as it is now, give or take a few per cent.

19. Hungry Man

Too bad there will be no way to prove it to you since you don't believe statistics.

20. Daveski17

Give it a year ...

21. Boost

Boost Registered Member

All you have for any sort of backup is studies,not 100% reliable,keep trying.

22. Hungry Man

"All you have for backup is studies"

this about sums up the entire conversation

everything about that sentence basically epitomizes this topic

23. Daveski17

Ooh look, someone predicting the end of Firefox as long ago as January 2010. And look; someone predicting the opposite. Oh my, things haven't changed since early 2010. What do the French say, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose?

24. Hungry Man

Funnily enough January 2010 is when we begin to see users move away from Firefox. Hmm...

And the second article, which does not predict hte opposite - only states that it isn't doomed (it's hardly saying it's going to gain members) does state that Firefox will see a lot of competition from Chrome.

But that's the end of this topic for me.

25. Daveski17

Yeah, & after nearly two years Fx is still alive & well.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought an article entitled Why Firefox is doomed would at least be the opposite of an article entitled Why Firefox is hardly Doomed. Silly me! If you're going to bandy semantics, at least do it with some conviction.

Yes, but not so much competition that it will disappear entirely. It could lose a lot more without gaining & still be competitive.

Are you quite sure about that? ;)

Or are you just hedging your bets again? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.