With Chrome Ascendant, Mozilla Is a Dead Man Walking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, there's gonna be a point where Firefox stops being worth all of that funding.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

We're going to see many more "Mozilla is dead" blogs, that's for sure.

Mozilla has done its bit in smashing the very unwholesome browser monopoly that existed a few years ago. So kudos to them. While it's possible that Google's bean counters may prefer not extending the existing agreement, PR considerations might just prevail and I hope that's not wishful thinking. Google does fund a lot of ventures that aren't directly connected to its bottom- or top-line.

4. Hungry Man

Very true.

A lot of Chromium devs who work directly for Google were also Firefox devs and have a lot of love for the project - I don't think their goal is to put the project they worked so hard on to bed.

I personally hope that Firefox does something really incredible to bring those stats back up. I'd love to see an even split between them with fluctuations forcing them to compete.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Wow, Firefox is a couple of % down compared to Borgle Chrome & apparently Stuka dive-bombing into oblivion. Let's face it; it's dead & buried! It's toast city, it's definitely a deceased parrot, a dead duck, it's gone all Betamax, it's waving at oblivion in its rear-view mirror, it's now just a Morris Marina, its 2012 apocalypse is inevitable, it's so Star Trek TOS, it's simply gone all flared trousers & disco ... :rolleyes:

I mean, they'll have to code it with plutonium or something to even dream of catching up with Chrome. Oh my! I mean only about five people actually use Firefox now don't they? And one of them doesn't count because he's a leprechaun. o_O

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. Hungry Man

This is hardly a "Oh it dropped a point below Chrome" it's "Firefox has been consistently losing users to Chrome for months."

At this rate it'll be at Opera's status in a year and if Google ever pulls the plug before then it'll drop even faster.

Hopefully that isn't the case.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Quite a humorous post.
    I enjoyed it.
    But to nit-pick, doesn't waving at something (oblivion) in the rear view mirror connote going away from, as opposed to approaching, which I think was your point?
    :cool:

8. Daveski17

Despite regaining some of its market share on October, Firefox is nearing towards 20% level, down from 21.20% to 20.58% (0.62 point decrease).

Soon to cross paths with Firefox, Google Chrome continues its dominant uptrend, up from 16.59% to 16.90% (0.31 point increase). ~ FavBrowser.com

I'm no statistician but the figures just don't seem that hysterical to me.

Yeah, Firefox would be a sad loss. I missed it in the bad old days of the 3/3.6 series. Jeez, I had to actually use Opera then! :eek: Until I discovered SeaMonkey that is.

9. Hungry Man

Well, at this rate in a year it'll be more like 10%, not quite at Opera's meager 2-4% level.

If Google pulls the plug it'll drop faster.

10. Daveski17

You know what Disraeli said about lies, damned lies & statistics right? ;)

Yes, probably. There have been speculations about Google's funding of Mozilla before though. I honestly have no idea what's going to happen there. I'm pretty sure Mozilla have contingency scenarios. Hopefully ...

11. Hungry Man

Hope that MS Bing supports them?

I don't see how they can make that kind of money otherwise. Devs cost money, servers for sync cost a lot of money, servers for the site cost money. We'll see how it goes.

12. Daveski17

Could be a possible scenario.

Maybe they should economise a bit. ;)

13. Daveski17

LOL Yeah, I reckon you're right. Maybe I shouldn't post after drinking! I reckon I was trying to say it has gone so far past oblivion that it is approaching something worse. I still think that Fx isn't going to disappear any time soon. I'd hate to have to go back to Opera as my default browser.

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Jeez Hungryman, you're slacking; Firefox+Bing link link :p

And indeed Daveski17, Firefox≠"This browser is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late browser! It's a stiff!... THIS IS AN EX-BROWSER!" Not by a long shot (afaic that is).

15. Daveski17

I could live with Bing as Fx's default SE. I'd still probably change it to Duck Duck Go in about:config though.

There's life in the old fox yet, it's made one hell of a comeback I reckon! ;)

16. Sevens

Sevens Guest

It might die as fast as Xp.;)

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh my God, not another one of these things, lol.

1. http://www.extremetech.com/internet/92558-how-browsers-make-money-or-why-google-needs-firefox

2. 100 million for Google is like 100 bucks for us.

3. Hungry, you must have developed some sort of brain issue if you think Mozilla and Opera use can even begin to compare, or that Firefox use will drop to anywhere near Opera's current (and static for years) use in 2 years, let alone 1. It won't even reach 10% in two years even if Google "pulls the plug"...where the heck are you guys getting all of this stuff?

Opera use is pathetic solely due to its developers apparently not giving a crap about the project. Firefox goes up and down like a bouncing ball simply because there are two good competitors to it (IE and Firefox). A browser bouncing up and down is healthy and expected. Opera is the one you should be preparing a funeral for.

18. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Yep another of these threads dw lol. I chuckled when I read through this thread :D

19. Hungry Man

lol I know that Firefox has a Bing version. I mean they should hope that MS starts paying their bills.

1) This link means nothing lol of course Google is dependent on search. But they won't keep paying Firefox to default to Google search when barely anyone uses Firefox. At the moment that obviously isn't the case - 1/5 people use it.

2) 100 million for Google is 100 million for Google. Companies don't make billions by throwing hundreds of millions away. I wouldn't even call this micromanaging. I think it's common sense that if a company can cut out 100 million dollars worth of losses it'll do it.

3) They definitely don't compare right now. If the current trend continues (.5% per month loss) we'll see Firefox at 10% in another year. That's not usually how it works though and it'll likely level out or they could come up with a way to bring users back.

But no, Firefox does not go "up and down." It's been going down in terms of market share for the last year or so. There has not been bouncing since well before FF 4.0, they've either gone up a tiny amount over a month, held, or gone down a lot more than they've managed to go up. I see no bouncing in the pic of that article nor any of the stat viewers (from any site really) that show bouncing...

20. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Nah, nah, it's just resting.

21. Daveski17

LOL! Look ... it just moved!

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

23. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If Firefox goes under I will go back to IE only on my setup. Chrome is not going to replace it on my machines. :mad:

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, how does that link mean "nothing"? It explains in simple terms why Google wouldn't likely stop funding Mozilla. And I'm sorry, but the entire article from the OP is really nothing more than another "Praise Chrome!". 100 million is absolutely nothing for Google, so let's not even bother continuing that discussion. Firefox isn't going to hit 10% for a very long time, "trend" be damned. It still has a lot of gas left in the tank. They could kick the ever loving crap out of Chrome if they ever get Electrolysis going. I'm not seeing anything at all from recent releases of Chrome, it looks to me like they are the ones in danger. You know, actually, I want to see what happens when XP users finally have the rugged pulled out from under them.

Both Chrome and Firefox have a good portion of users simply because XP is still allowed to breathe. Take it off the ventilator and then we might see who is really top dog, and who was just being used because MS forced people to use it.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And the fingernails are growing too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.