Wise Driver Care beta, excellent new driver updater from WiseCleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Jun 16, 2017.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This has just been released by WiseCleaner, who also publish Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Care 365, and in my opinion is by far, the best driver update software there is.
    http://forum.wisecleaner.com/index.php?/topic/13105-new-product-wise-driver-care/
    Wise.png

This is basically an English language version of a Chinese drive update software called Driver Genius (not the English language software of the same name from driver-soft.com). Driver Genius is only available in Chinese language, and for the past few years at least, it has been including unwanted extras, such as the Chinese version of Kingsoft Antivirus. For the past few months, I've been using a portable version of Driver Genius (with omits the extra software), and it's nice to have an English language version now.

I'm regularly installing Windows on various laptops I own, and this does a better than just about any other driver updater at finding drivers for devices with have no drivers installed and Windows Update is unable to find drivers for, e.g. card readers. Often other driver update software don't have the needed drivers for devices with missing drivers. It's very rare for it to install an incompatible driver update. It can also, for example replace a generic high definition audio driver with the correct OEM one.

It separates the updates into two categories, Abnormal Drivers and Updatable Drivers. The Abnormal Drivers category includes drivers for devices with missing drivers and devices which have a generic Microsoft driver installed and there is an OEM driver available. Whereas, Updatable Drivers shows drivers which have an updated version available. By default, only drivers in the Abnormal Drivers section are selected to be downloaded and installed. This makes it easy to just install missing drivers and skip updating existing drivers which are working fine.

Even if you don't normally use driver update software, this could come in handy just to run once to install missing device drivers after doing a clean install or upgrade of Windows.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This (driver hunting) is been a sore point for me ever since booting that first windows machine up and it hasn't gotten that much easier either IMO.

Thanks for sharing. Will want to most definitely see how this performs.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I run the HP Softpaq Download Manager on mine to get driver updates for my HP PC.

4. roger_m

It finds no updates on my ProBook as it's a few years old, and HP usually only provide updates for recent models.

5. NormanF

Hardware drivers are supplied by the PC maker. Generic drivers may not be as good a fit even if they're more recent.

6. roger_m

A lot of the drivers found by Wise Driver Care are drivers published by the PC maker.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Maybe this software is good but I don't recommend any driver updaters for Win 10 machines. Windows update cares for drivers and even though that these drivers need not be the latest ones they work flawlessly in Win 10. As regards the Win below 10, such tool can be of a help if you encounter an issue related to drivers.

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

+1
    driver tools are only necessary if PID and VID have no result.
    at first always search on vendor pages, then generic (intel, amd, nvida, realtek, atheros aso.)
    the chance to crush a running system with a wrong driver is too high as some people had to learn in my other visited forums.
    even the windows function is no fortune.

those tools exist only to make money with the laziness of people.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Huge thanks for this info, I am fan of WiseCare products. I am currently using Driver Easy, but I am looking forward to this. Though I doubt it will be free, once out of beta.

10. roger_m

You're welcome. Yes, I'm guessing it will be a paid product. The beta even has the text at the bottom of the window, "Has been registered to : WiseCleaner." In my experience, this does a better job at finding drivers than Driver Easy, even though Driver Easy has very big database of drivers.

11. TairikuOkami

Indeed, actually the first run has just failed and the software closed saying, that the registration has expired, but the second try worked.

I wonder, what the driver cleanup is for. It suggests to cleanup 2.7 GB, that is sure a lot, but I am afraid it will clean up Installer folder or something similar and mess up Windows.

Attached Files:

12. roger_m

It seems to just delete old driver backups that Windows had made and are no longer needed. I ran it, and when I went to Device Manager, it seems that any drivers I've updated recently can still be rolled back to the previous versions. So it seems safe to run.

13. TairikuOkami

Thanks for the input. I will try to find out, how to remove it manually, I do not like to rely on 3rd party software to do it, especially paid one.
    But it seems, it is not even showing the correct driver versions, like AMD or Realtek 10.018 vs 10.016, but I guess bugs are to be expected.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just shows the latest WHQL drivers, not the latest ones.

EDIT 2: Found this one to clean up driver store for free - https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  14. NormanF

Good rule to follow is to stay with provided drivers since there is rarely the need to update them.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

15. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I'm using a old Lenovo Thinkpad (T420) and it did indeed offer Lenovo drivers that I had removed as I didn't want or need the in-house Lenovo software they related too, however it also found some Intel drivers that needed updating..A good find, thanks.

16. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Webroot identified one of the dll files as suspect or malicious (c:\program files (x86)\wise\wise driver care\dgqsc.dll) and quarantined the file. I probably won't be using this software.

17. Daniel K

Daniel K Registered Member

Thanks roger_m :)

18. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Roger, thanks for the info.

I installed it and it found 4 drivers that needed updating.

Most appreciated.

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Did you submit that file to virusTotal?
    I am going to give it a try in VB and see what it does.

20. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Used the cleaning function for drivers, afterwards my touchpad stopped working. And i used the stable release today at Majorgeeks.

21. NormanF

When it comes to drivers, leave well enough alone.

22. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Amen! Particularly if you are not sure what you are doing.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Keep this page Bookmarked like I do just in case you have to go on a hunt. It's been much easier for me locating a few.

http://pcidatabase.com/

24. roger_m

There is not stable release yet. The installer at MajorGeeks is for the beta version. You can report any bugs here.

WDC.png
    It's a false positive. I scanned it at VirusTotal, and only Webroot detects it.

25. roger_m

Did you click on the link to activate your account that was emailed to you when you registered?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.