Wireless routers for online gamers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CJsDad, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

My kids are finally in that world of online gaming so what do I need to look for when deciding on a wireless router for playing online games, one has PS3 and the other uses XBOX360.
    I've done some research, not much, but a lot of complaints from online gamers are the dropped connections which I have no idea about.
    So any help would be appreciated and as far as money goes, its not really an option but has anyone seen the price of these games for PS3 and XBOX360 o_O and no I'm not spending a gazillion dollars for a wireless router, $100 or slightly more is my max.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Netgear WNDR-3400 or 3700.

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Thanks trjam but now my next question is...WHY? What is about those 2 routers?
    The Netgear WNDR3400 is on sale right now at a store up the street from where I live, I think its $60, so now you've got me really curious.
    Im new this online gaming so its like a lot of things going through my head right now so just want to be sure before making the purchase.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No matter how much you try sell it to yourself, wireless will always be inferior for gaming.

My suggestion is investing in Powerline Ethernet and using whatever router you please.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I used an old linksys wr-54 for a long time - was a rock.

I like Dlink myself, primarily because of the firmware. I had a gamers lounge model (not wireless) that was really really good. I have been using a DIR-655 for 2 years now. I am wireless to the boob-toob for streaming, no issues.

My pals who have ps3/xbox360/boob-tube usages also have this router. They know what dropped packets/connections are, they know what increased latency is/does. They like this model for those uses.

I have one at work, and the signal goes a goodly way with decent strength considering what it is penetrating.

My experience in shopping for and picking routers is that you are never really going to know until you get one. I have had a few that I thought would be good that really sucked. Unless you know someone with a particular model, it is hard to tell.

Sul.

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

This is probably obvious: Do not pick a "Business" grade router since it is my understanding that many of them do not support such things as gaming, wii, etc. out of the box. They have to be manually configured for gaming, wii, etc. which takes some time and effort.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.