Wireless Keyboard Stops Responding

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Krusty, May 7, 2020.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo connected to this machine. I used to have an issue in Windows where the keyboard appeared to sleep, or stopped responding to keystrokes and had trouble waking, but that has largely resolved itself. I would be typing away looking at my keyboard, only to look up and see most of what I typed missing.

I haven't noticed that happening in Windows lately, but in Kubuntu I see it happening fairly often. Same thing, typing away, look up and no keystrokes recorded.

Obviously using a wired connection solves that problem but then I have a messy lead + an extension lead to deal with.

While I haven't yet tested with a new set of batteries for the keyboard, it would be weird that low batteries would only affect Linux, not Windows. For the record, when I was having issues in Windows I did try new batteries = same result.

The keyboard is only about 4 feet, 1200 mm away from the wireless receiver and there is nothing between the keyboard and its receiver.

The mouse does not ever have any issue connected to the same receiver.

I even tried a brand new keyboard / mouse combo, although the exact same make and model, with the same results.

Any ideas?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Why not? That's always the first thing to check with wireless devices. FTR, I spend about 4 - 5 hours every day at my computer. I am lucky if a set of batteries last 5 months on my Microsoft Comfort Desktop 5050 mouse and keyboard set. For that reason, I bought a set of rechargeable batteries and charger just for them.

Did you make sure you have the latest drivers (for both Windows and Linux)? Since it now works fine with Windows but not Linux, that would suggest it could be a Linux driver or Linux compatibility issue.

Sadly, you told us nothing about the keyboard. :( You say wireless, but there are different types of wireless to include RF and Bluetooth as the most common. While Bluetooth is also RF (radio frequency), and is the most common, it typically has a much shorter range than RF - depending on the version of Bluetooth, it may be only up to 30 feet with the most ideal conditions. That distance is greatly reduced by many factors including barriers, interference, antenna orientation (on both ends), and battery strength.

Typically, the dongle is plugged into the back of the computer. If you have multiple USB ports in back, try a different pair, preferably one that is away from other wires. And if possible, one that is oriented 90° from the first. That is, if currently in a vertical USB port, try one that orients horizontally as that will change the orientation of the antenna.

If the computer has front USB, try there.

Interference can also come from other devices in the immediate area - like TVs, microwave and cell towers, refrigerator compressor motors, and other wireless devices. Increasing the distance between those devices and the keyboard and dongle may help.

Making sure all your wall outlets (for the computer and all other nearby electronic devices/appliances) are properly wired and grounded to Earth ground helps ensure EMI/RFI (interference) is eliminated or at least minimized. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Once you have ensured fresh batteries, updated drivers, wall outlet grounding, and maximum separation between the keyboard and its dongle and other RF generating devices and the problem persists, one last ditch effort you can try is to get a top-quality USB extension cord to move the dongle up close to where your keyboard is located. Use a quality cable that is just long enough to bring the dongle to within about 6 inches of the keyboard. There are 4-foot cables out there.

If still no luck, you may have to get a totally different brand keyboard - or go back to wired.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I just had the same thing happen on a wired keyboard while booted into Kubuntu. That is the first time I've seen it happen anywhere on a wired keyboard.

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Perhaps it's some bug in Kubuntu 20.04? it is not without reason that the common advice is to wait upgrading till the point release, some months later.

5. Bill_Bright

And was this wired keyboard plugged into the same USB port (or pair of ports) as the dongle for the wireless keyboard?

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No, different port.
    This started on my wireless keyboard when I first installed 18.04, so it isn't specific to 20.04.

7. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

OK, thanks.
    The fact that today you had the issue happen with a wired keyboard, makes it intriguing.

8. Bill_Bright

You need to make sure it is on a different USB hub too. So if using a rear port, try a front port.

You might also run sfc /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) command prompt and make sure there are no unfixed errors.

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

For what it's worth, over the years I have these hubs go dead and just as mysteriously come back to life.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

The receiver for the mouse from the combo is still in use, still working flawlessly and is plugged into a front port. The wired keyboard is plugged into a back port.
    I don't think that will do anything in Kubuntu. :rolleyes:
    My issue has nothing to do with USB hubs. :rolleyes:

11. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Opps..I meant ports.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I doubt it is the USB port in this case as the mouse from the combo hasn't failed in any way.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.