Wireless connections on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Dregg Heda, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Hi guys,

Im thinking of giving Ubuntu a spin, but I wish to know if it is able to connect to wireless networks. The reason I ask is because I think ive heard before that it has problems doing this. Also if Ubuntu has any issues with wireless connections, what distro can I use? It needs to be simple and easy to use. Thanks.

EDIT: Will wireless connections also be a problem if I install it in a vm?

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Easy answer, try a LiveCD and test it. Hard answer, Ubuntu has come a long way with wireless and you shouldn't have a problem if you use 9.04, the latest version. And if you do, ask here and we can help you solve it.

As to working in a VM session, no problem. The host handles the wireless connection.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My experience has been quite positive.

Except one T61 laptop, which turned out to have a bad case, I tested with 7 different laptops, include Dell 420, T42, T43, T60, T61, Compaq 6910p, LG 510, no problems at all.

Mrk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  4. Dregg Heda

Alright, thanks for your responses guys!

5. Dregg Heda

If the host handles the wireless connection, will anything i access on the net/download,etc pass through the host first, hence potentially exposing the host to malware? Or will the connection be through the vm first? Sorry I am having trouble visualising this. I have never used a vm before. Thanks.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Access/download itself means nothing. Execution could, in potential, leak over to the host, but it's a rare thing. Of course, depends what you run on host/guest.

Host: Ubuntu, Guest: Windows, remain calm and happy.

The best thing is not to execute malware, so you won't have anything to worry about :)

Cheers,
    Mrk

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its simple to connect. Just enter your network ID and password in the Network Manager and click save and connect. With Atheros-based cards, you get a connection to the Internet.

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

If the host is Windows, then the host may open you to malware. But you won't be in anymore danger from the Ubuntu guest than you were without it. In fact, if you use the guest for all your email and browsing, you will be MUCH safer than you were without it.

The direct answer to the question is that the internet "packets" pass through the host ethernet driver directly to VM driver, so, no, any malware you access in the guest won't infect the host.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  9. Dregg Heda

Alright, Thanks everyone! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.