WinXP system drive restore woes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by adrian142, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrian142

adrian142 Registered Member

Hi all,

I have the following problem which is driving me nuts:

I made an Image of my WinXP system drive. WinXP was located on drive M:, fo whatever reason this drive letter was chosen during first installation because on drive C: a Win98 installation is located.

Now I wanted to restore the image yesterday. The restore from within WinXP failed. After re-booting the system locked up when the message "CRONIS xyz started..." appeared. Same effect when I wanted to use SecureZone via F11.

But then I thought of booting into Win98 and restoring from there. The restore process worked after I verified the validity of the image.

That was when the real trouble started.

When I re-booted only my Win98 installation was visible. No dual-booting anymore. So I used WinXP recovery console to do a FIXBOOT, FIXMBR.

WinXP than appeared again, but not as drive M: anymore, but as K:. And when I chose this entry the load process stops when a message concerning "AUTOCHECK not found. Skipping..." is displayed. After that the system re-boots.

What can I do to solve the situation. How cam I get my old drive letter for the WinXP installation back?

Best regards,
    -Adrian

2. Justtesting

Justtesting Registered Member

Try to enter recovery console with XP boot CD, when at the prompt,
    press "BOOTCFG /rebuild" (without the "" stuf), and answer to whats asked.
    I hope it helps. Good luck!

3. adrian142

adrian142 Registered Member

Thank You very much for the tip.

I forgot to mention that I already have taken this step. After I rebuilt the CFG I am given the option to boot into Win98 or WinXP.

But when I choose WinXP the effect I describe appears.

How can I set my WinXP installation back to drive letter M:? Or is it irrelevant for WinXP which drive letter is used? I don't think so...

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Adrian --

Did you try to change the letter to M: ?

If you have no tool for that please PM me and I'll provide you with a copy of Acronis product that will allow you to change the letter.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.