WINXP PRO

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Got PRO a week ago, and am no authority on it - so I wonder if I've done something wrong in settings/oprions, or...?

Some/all(?) programs have DIRs in "the north forty" and then, those apps can't create path (I think) to said DIR., and therefore I don't get full power of apps I'm using - and missing out some things in SPYBOT S&D, for instance, worry me a bit. So, what am I missing?

*** Til recently, I used WIN98SE, and the DIR it used for much of what I'm asking about, was C\WIN\APP DATA (I'm fairly certain).

Will be pleased for your help, even if someone just pasted a link in reply, to site where I could read up on this new (to me) OS - so I can find out what to do or not do.

AND... after giving up my beloved old ZA 2.6.231 F'wall
    for PRO's f'wall - how far can I trust it?! (Yes, I bought PRO w/SP1 and 2, and have updated the OS almost every night in past week, re just the critical updates).

Thanks, for your advice, as always
    SG1 (Pat)
    =====================
    *** Am running 1 billion security apps and XP PRO f'wall.
    I'll likely someday lock myself out! We do not use the p'word thing in PRO's bootup sequence; perhaps I should?

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

go to start then settings then control panel. look for users..doubleclick to open it from this screen you will be able to see the accounts and most importantly the administrator account. you can edit them or do with them as you will but make sure the administrator account is yours and that you know and don't forget the password. also different from old 98se is the different users are the accounts and are given permissions from the administrator by editing those user accounts and making them either another administrator (not recommended) or limited user (recommended). hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.